Author Topic: Another Overdrive Transmission  (Read 3329 times)

steve375

• View Profile
    • Email
Another Overdrive Transmission
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
I am purchasing a 1952 Henry J Vagabond with a 4 cylinder manual transmission. Currently it does not have an overdrive transmission. I am considering putting in an overdrive transmission. How much will that diminish the performance of the vehicle? What is your opinion, should I change out the transmission and replace it with overdrive? Thank you in advance for your insights.
Steve

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Another Overdrive Transmission
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
Adding OD to the car will definitely be a good thing. When engaged, it reduces engine revolutions by 30%, thereby reducing the stress the engine is under at road speeds. I would definitely do it.

Aside from the wiring, you will need to locate the correct driveshaft because the OD transmission adds something like 18" to the overall length.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:14:06 AM »
The 4 cylinder engine is also what is known as a "long stroke" motor, meaning the piston travels longer each cycle than in a short stroke engine like the 6 cylinder version.  The HJ 4 design goes back to the 1930's when cars didn't go over 50 or so MPH on the highway. 

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
I've owned every possible engine/transmission combination possible in a Henry J. Not usually mentioned is the ease of operation in O.D. .Shifting gears is much smoother with O.D.,especilly if you are decellerating. After you leave 1st gear,in much suburban driving you can just stay in 2nd and go back and forth into O.D.
 I reemphasize, you need the O.D. driveshaft and a spicer yoke reciever on the rear.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
Overdrive is the way to go. It will increase the drive-ability and performance. I know of many an occasion when a four without overdrive threw a rod. I have first hand experience! Most 4 cylinder without OD cars I have encountered have had engine work done on them.
The nice thing about it is the OD and non-OD '51 four cylinders used the same rear end so all you have to do is install the OD, have the driveshaft shortened (or replaced with one from an OD equipped car, 4 or 6 cyl) and you are good to go.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »
After I purchased my 51 HJ, I had to add OD because I couldn't stand the engine noise at any speed above 45 mph. You should know:
1) OD doesn't make your car faster (top speed) and it doesn't necessarily give you better mpg. The original purpose was to reduce engine noise by cutting engine rpms at cruising speed and it does reduce engine wear.
2) The transmission used is a T96 and very similar units were used in contemporary light cars. A Studebaker Champion/Lark 6 trans is almost identical.
3) You say that you have a 52 Vagabond. You should know that true 52 HJs used ball & trunion u-joints instead of the Dana-Spicer cross type used in 1951 and 53-54. If you have the ball & trunion u-joints, I would urge you to switch out the flange on the rear end to the Dana-Spicer type because most HJs made were 51s. And don't put the driveshaft on backwards.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 10:27:48 PM »
And to add to something Lowell said, if you have a HJ with OD, you have close to a semi-automatic transmission for city driving. Unless the car is heavily loaded down, you can start off in 2nd and if you need to go faster than 28 mph, you let up on the throttle and go into OD. The clutch is used only when starting from a dead stop.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »
A '52 Vagabond is just a '51 Henry J that was converted to a '52 so they do not use the ball and trunion type u-joints. My '52 Vagabond was originally a four without overdrive and it had/has the cross and yoke because it started its life as a '51. The '52 Corsairs and later, however, did use the ball and trunion type.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:46:17 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
Check this one out. It's a '53, darn near a twin to mine, with the exception that this one does not have overdrive. See the undercarriage shots; they reveal it does indeed have the ball and trunion type U-joints. The cars with OD have the cross and yoke which is consistent with what the factory parts book lists.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251314612759?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mine has OD (and the tag confirms it was so equipped from the factory) and it has the cross and yoke just as Edgar's does which is, for the most part,  a '53 even though it's tagged and titled as a '51.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe