Author Topic: Chrome bumpers  (Read 2416 times)

BobWolterbeek

• View Profile
    • Email
Chrome bumpers
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
I live in northwestern California and I need to find where I can get the bumpers on my 53 Henry-J rechromed. Can anyone tell me where the best place is to have this done and any idea of what it will cost? Thanks, Bob

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chrome bumpers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
I am in Los Angeles.  Google Bumperboys in Los Angeles.  I understand they will ship.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

StillOutThere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
Bumperboyz is cheap but no customer will tell you they are good.   Go to a local car show or cruise night and ask some questions of the guys with the nice chrome on their cars.   You won't have to pay shipping if you get it done locally.
'34 Terraplane convertible coupe
'51 Kaiser Deluxe coupe
'52 Spohn Palos cabriolet
'53 Nash-Healey
'57 Chrysler 300C convertible

BobWolterbeek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »
Thanks guys. It will be awhile before I get the bumpers rechromed. I'm spending my time now on touching up all the chips and scratches in the paint that happened while it was in storage (from 1997 to 2011).

Hollenway

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
Tri City Plating in Tennessee are top quality......   I've used these folks for years and have never been disappointed.   I have bumpers they did for me 20 years ago and they are still perfect.

Tri-City Plating Co
Address: 705 N Lynn Ave, Elizabethton, TN 37643
Phone:(423) 542-6532

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
Because copper is expensive these days you want to make sure that the plating process includes copper.  Many plating shops skip the copper plating and your chrome looks fine for a year and then it begins to fade out.  Try to find a local plater as chroming is very expensive and the shipping on top of that would make the cost prohibitive.  Sometimes you can find NOS bumpers or excellent used ones.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
A good chrome plater will re-do something like bumpers this way:

1.  The old material is stripped chemically (best way) or ground off to the bare metal (has to be a good craftsman to do it this way).

2.  It gets buffed as smooth as possible; you are lookng for the least number of pockmarks.  The pockmarks reflect the normal outgassing of air or gasses trapped when the metal is cast.  The material works its way out when the metal "breathes" due to affect of temperature over time.

3.  Copper strike is applied by electroplating; the current bonds the material to the metal base.

4.  Copper is buffed; it gets a bit plyable and can be more or less moved around the part to fill in holes that show up and smooth adjacent surfaces so it fills properly.

5.  Hexavalent Chrome (Hex Chrome is the only type of chrome that works for outdoor surfaces; it is also the most toxic form of chrome plating material and the most expensive) is electroplated onto the copper.  Both copper and Hex Chrome layers are VERY VERY THIN! 

6.  Chrome is buffed to work out the surface profile and give it a shine.

I know a bit about this as I spent over 6 years as Quality Manager for a chrome plater who's customer base included Honda Motorcycle, Harley-Davidson and General Motors.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
I used to use a local plater who used to skip the nickel process. The finished product always had a yellow cast to it. He's not in business anymore. The last piece he ruined for me was a trunk molding for my '60 Continental Mark V convertible. He coppered it, chromed it, tried to buff the chrome and it's yellow! The place I use now flawlessly repairs the item, triple plates the piece, always perfect! Gary.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
Do you have contact info for your current chromer?
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »
It's Advanced Custom Chrome, 2011 East 30th Street, Erie, PA 16510. Phone#814-899-1233. On the web at advancedcustomchrome.com. Gary.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
The Harley guys,both dealers and owners have very high standards on chrome.Check with  a dealer or owners in your area for their reccomendations.Be nice,never look them straight in the eyes.Hold your head down a bit and droop your sholders.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
CorsairDeluxe, I think the Harley guys use wadding pools in the backyard for the dipping process. 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
The Harley guys,both dealers and owners have very high standards on chrome.Check with  a dealer or owners in your area for their reccomendations.Be nice,never look them straight in the eyes.Hold your head down a bit and droop your sholders.

I had some parts for my 57 done at Garys Custom Cycle here in Ottawa, ON, and never once did I not look him in the eye??? We shot the crap with him and even joked around. I have done some custom for BIKERS and did not feel threatened by them.

My buddy just got some parts for his HJ done at Niagara Custom Chrome in Niagara Fall NY. He is very happy with the work. Henry.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h