Author Topic: temperature sending unit for '53 Kaiser  (Read 1527 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
temperature sending unit for '53 Kaiser
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
Does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement for the sending unit?   If not, where can I get a good one?
The temp gauge is reading almost all the way to the right but the car is not hot.  The radiator and thermostat are good.  (I'm assuming the gauge is good)
I've bought NOS units before on my last '53 but they still weren't accurate and read too hot.  I didn't want to buy another NOS for this car without checking with the club members on alternatives.  thanks,   Jim

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: temperature sending unit for '53 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »
It might not be your sending unit. It could be the dash voltage regulator. There's a small, rectangular regulator that's mounted on the rear of the instrument cluster. When they wear, it causes the temp gauge to head hotter than it should. My 53 does the same thing, but only with the lights on. Try replacing the regulator and see what happens.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
Re: temperature sending unit for '53 Kaiser
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
I realize it's electromechanical, but what is the average output voltage of the instrument voltage regulator? (When it's working right...) Should be able to check it with a voltmeter and see if it's stable or moving around. (And I'd suggest an analogue meter for this test as you won't see much fluctuation accurately with a digital meter.)