Author Topic: Good new, bad news  (Read 1742 times)

MikeZ

• Perseverance alone will prevail!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good new, bad news
« on: July 24, 2009, 11:02:30 PM »
The good news is that I got the leaked fixed between the timing gear cover and the pulley hub at the crank on my 51 HJ 4 banger. I used a "speedy sleeve because the hub wasn't very smooth. I also discovered by trial and error that there is supposed to be a round cork gasket in a recess in the spacer between the spacer and the slinger to seal around the shaft. I sure wish my shop manual showed all the gaskets required. The car was missing a lot of stuff on the engine when I bought it.
The engine runs great after the rebuild, by the way!

Now the bad news.
I have antifreeze leaking out around the head studs that penetrate into the water chamber in the block. 
I tried using a copper silicone sealant made by Permatex on the threads that go into the block. I also tried FormAGasket #2. Neither worked.
Does anyone have any suggestions other that running AlumiSeal or some similar product in the cooling system for a week and then draining it out?

51henryj

Re: Good new, bad news
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »
Hello,  Do you need any parts? eg: cylinder head? let me know.. I have a chassis here with most the parts still on it.. engine, tranny.. so on..