Author Topic: Finally- overheating /vapor lock licked  (Read 2163 times)

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Finally- overheating /vapor lock licked
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
My '51 has had a tendency to run hot and try to vapor lock on hot days (wasn't sure that was what was going on but found it never acted up until warmed up). The general solution is to install an electric pump, but I really didn't want to go there except as a last resort. I decided to attempt a fix that would address the underlying problem, running hot. The engine is rebuilt and almost everything you can think of has already been done. such as new fuel pump, carb, cleaned and coated gas tank, new radiator, water pump, insulated fuel lines, etc. So I felt the best approach was to improve the cooling system with an aftermarket solution. I got a Hayden 3568 flex fan (steel with stainless steel blades) and a 2" spacer. This blade is  18.25 inches, ideal size probably would have been 17. The fan to radiator space is really tight on these cars, I was able to remove the old fan but to get the new assembly in I had to remove the radiator. Once installed, the blade was a bit too close and I had to use spacers to move the radiator out about 3/16". The perfect spacer would have been 1 3/4", changing the radiator position would have not been required, but clearance between the fan and generator pulley would have been tight. In either spacer, an inset of about 1 and 1/8" must be machined in the back of the spacer to fit the water pump hub. Any machine shot with a milling machine can do it. I used a 1" drill on a drill press to do it, but the machine shop job would have been preferable.

Once the radiator was back in place, I replaced the 100% antifreeze solution with 50% (the more water vs antifreeze, the cooler it will run- downside is winter protection not as good). Button it all up, checked clearances and took for a test drive on an 86 degree day. The temp gauge used to creep up anytime I would sit at a traffic light, now stays within normal zone. Engine now runs probably 15 to 20 degrees cooler. For the first time on a hot day- no sign of vapor lock. No electric fuel pump necessary.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:08:37 PM by 51Deluxe »

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
Re: Finally- overheating /vapor lock licked
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
Wow this fan sure looks powerfull ! The engine itself looks nice and clean too.

As a note; I just replaced my rad hoses, cap and coolant.
Even though I live in the cold, I used 60/40 mix of anti-freeze/de-ionized water for that reason, more cooling efficiency than just anti-freeze.
The car is only summer driven anyway and stored in a heated garage.
Never had overheating problems and everything is standard original.

Bernie.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »
Have you check the thermostat? The temperature gauge should not be going up Sitting at a traffic light.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »
Haven't checked it, assumed it was changed out with the radiator/coolant/water pump by previous owner during the restore. Since the temp gauge stays in the zone since the fan change, I assume the problem was lack of airflow at idle. The car always runs cool at speed.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:54:10 AM »
what was the reason for 100% at first?
100% does not give the best freeze protection.

best cooling is at 40% antifreeze.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
Just purchased the car on Ebay a few weeks ago, it came with 100%, or at least pegged out my antifreeze tester