Author Topic: Accessory Group 24  (Read 2861 times)

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Accessory Group 24
« on: December 18, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the Kaiser-Frazer document that shows what makes up the Accessory Group 24. I have seen many fine KFOCI Members who have listed what is contained within that group, but never seen the KF source data.

The reason is that I have a 52 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe. Its paint is 325, 4424 interior, and Accessory Group 24. What I have seen stated for ACC 24 does not have arm rest nor door trim moldings. Yet mine has both of these. I am aware that there is a fair chance that my car has been altered. I just want to see the supporting documation before I rethink of how I am going to restore my interior.

If you can e-mail me at AZSteele123@aol.com a copy of what you have I would be most appeciated.

Mark
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accessory Group 24
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »
According to Confidential Bulletin #73, Accessory Group 24 for a 1952 HJ Vagabond Deluxe (with folding rear seat) consisted of:
Front Window Vents                                                        Deck Lid
Vacuum Booster Fuel Pump                                               Cigarette Lighter
Full Stainless Steel Wheel Discs                                         Chrome Horn Ring
2 Bumper Guards, Front and Rear                                       Second Horn
2 Ash Recievers in Rear compartment

1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe models came with front ash reciever as part of standard equipment (4 cylinders had it as an option).  Arm Rests for either type HJ (4 or 6) were a dealer-installed option, available in 4 colors and sold as pairs, according to page 4 of the Accessory Price List dated November 26, 1951 & applicable to 1952 Vagabond models.  I have no information on the door trim moldings but would not be surprised if Kaiser-Frazer added them as a no-charge standard equipment item.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »
My dad has a mariner gray, 1951 Henry J deluxe and has the original invoice from it from 'Henry J Kaiser Motors' in SF California. The total for that car was $2100!  Only add-on listed on the invoice was overdrive and it did not originally have a radio (it does now) so I always wondered what made that sticker price so high for a Henry J??  It is AG 22  which is: Decklid, stationary rear seat, front wing vents, stainless steel wheel covers, horn ring, second seashell horn, door trim moldings, arm rests, right hand sunvisor, bumper gaurds, rear seat ashtrays, front ash tray.  It has all of those items and LOOD says the AG was an additional $180 and OD is listed as $98 on the invoice so I don't know what could've driven it up to $2100. CA taxes?
It does have two locking door handles but I don't think that could account for much dollar-wise.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »
Remember where that car was built...according to a 1951 model year distance/cost chart, Kaiser-Frazer charged $252.17 for freight from Willow Run to San Francisco.  No Henry J's were assembled at Long Beach or Portland.

Confidential Bulletin #56 dated 1/26/51 indicates group #22 was offered only through February 1, 1951 (production...cars could have been in inventory for some time after the production cut date).  It shows a price of $180.95 plus 9.31 Federal Excise Tax.  At this point, the base price on a HJ deluxe (K514) was still $1,342.58 plus $71.42 Federal Excise Tax and $15.00 suggested for prep and conditioning at retail delivery.  Overdrive was at the time $91.00 plus $5.01 Federal Excise Tax.  These figures on the car and o/d come from Confidential Bulletin #52.  So Far, what I have listed here comes to $1,966.44. 

At this point, we are still $133.56 short.  If the car was sold retail after March 1, 1951, regardless of production date, OPA price control regulations would have allowed dealers to charge $1,378.29 plus $105.61 Federal Tax and $98.15 (including Federal Tax) for o/d.

Further, even though factory MSRP on the cars did not include Retail Delivery Report (RDR) Deposit ($5.00) Factory Service Charge ($10.00) and Advertising Charge ($20.00) the costs were passed on to customers by most dealers.  I would guess the balance is a mixture of state and/or local taxes, license and title fees, whitewall tires, etc.  The little things quickly add up. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:57:27 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:05:51 AM »
Jack, I was just browsing this page this morning and noticed I missed your reply back in December.  Thank you very much for this information. It makes sense now. The original invoice is dated April 30, 1951 which is totally consistent with what you have said.  I also forgot to mention, the invoice also lists an additional cost of $45 for a heater. The car has the 1949/50 Kaiser type heater which is listed in the accessories section of the HJ Parts Book.  The invoice also deducts $100 for a trade-in of a 1935 Austin. Seems the buyer liked little cars!  Heck, I'll just scan the invoice and post it -

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:37:58 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios