Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 3213 times)

DaveF

• View Profile
    • Email
Insurance
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
Dear club members, any suggestions for "Old Car Insurance"?  My Kaiser is parked outside under a carport. 

Thanks, Dave F  #10113

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:46:05 PM »
Call Steve Wingenfeld
602-318-9090
He sells collector car insurance he is in the club.
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:56:30 AM »
Got mine through Hagerty and it was pretty reasonable.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
Old car insurance policies for the typical K-F product (not Darrins or convertibles) is fairly reasonable.  The thing to look at closely are the restrictions and requirements.  As far as I currently know, the good old car insurance carriers require the car to be in a garage with a brick rather than wood thing preferred (fire retardation).  Also, check for driving restrictions.  Normally the standard policy shows a maximum of 2,500-3,000 miles a year.  Trailering does not count towards the actual driven mile figure.  You often can get a rider to expand mileage or for a special event (like driving from NY to a National Convention on the West Coast) but a premium may be charged.

State Farm and several other "regular" carriers now write old car insurance but only if your other cars and other home-related insurance are written with the carrier.   Barbara & I have used State Farm for over 20 years.  Rates are competitive and service is good.

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »

The Insurance carriers that I HAVE TALKED TO , WANT IT TO BE INSIDE A GARAGE. Geico will do just liability on a 52 Henry J parked outside for $13.00 a month.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »
I am in the automobile insurance business although I do not sell to the public. My experience includes working with national account partners in the specialty markets, including old cars. Most folks would be surprised to learn that very few antique auto insurers actually underwrite their own risks. Most are mainline carriers who "hand off" risks like antique auto to other companies who actually assume liability...of course for a price. We are the re-insurer for many companies, meaning that carrier "A" will only underwrite liability and physical damage coverages to a certain limit and anything above, they hand off to the other company (us). To the customer, coverage is seamless and any claims are handled by the company doing the billing.

For most specialty carriers, they will underwrite to liability limits of $300K Combined Single Limits BI/PD and $500 deductibles for Comprehensive and Collision. Any BI limit that's higher and/or any Comp/Coll deductible that's lower is usually reinsured by another carrier.

The "rule" where vehicles need to be in a garage is common to most antique and specialty auto market carriers. Because older cars are more difficult to repair or replace due to parts availability, parking in a garage greatly reduces their exposure to theft and the elements. The mileage restriction keeps owners from using them as regular transportation. Policy exclusions stating they will not pay if a claim originates from regular use don't stand up in court so the restriction was developed to curb (pun not intended!) everyday use.

And with nearly 20 year's experience in the business, I've seen it all. We had a claim filed by a vintage Chevy owner who hit a cow. He claimed he hit it driving to a show two days after buying a policy from us. Our adjuster located the cow's owner who had a police report of the hit three days prior to the claimant's policy purchase. The claimant said he hit a different cow (really?!) but the adjuster found the car's hood "V" stuck in the cow's abdomen. We denied the claim because the car owner didn't have a valid policy with us at the time of the hit - and he was stuck with a sizable bill for the disposition of the heifer.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »
I also used State Farm for modern and classic cars.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »
Grundy has carried my insurance policy on my antiques for maybe 30 years. They have no mileage limitations, although I can only drive my cars to car-related events and of course for repairs and joy rides. Pricing is reasonable. I highly recommend them.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 11:43:29 PM »
I have Grundy as well.  The cars are required to be in the garage.  My concern though is my son will start driving in a couple years and Grundy requires the driver to be at least 25 yrs of age.   I will have to move our Henry J over to our daily driver policy to allow 16 yr old to drive it regularly.  :(
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:56:09 PM »
My son's High School has secure parking for the students.  Our Henry J will be his daily driver, unless I find another one to fix up.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer