Author Topic: Tappet/Valve Cover  (Read 1072 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Tappet/Valve Cover
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »
Does anyone know if the tappet/valve cover can be removed and successfully replaced with new gasket while the manifolds are still attached to the engine? This is on a '53 Manhattan. I have the oil pan off and it seems like it would be a lot easier to get to that right now. If I can take that off I can clean in there and also spray some ATF on the bottoms of those sticky valves. Is it worth it or should I just leave it alone for now?
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Tappet/Valve Cover
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »
That tapper cover can be removed with the manifolds in place. I just did some valve work on my Traveler and had to pull the cover. I removed the fuel pump because the cover needs to slide down to clear the manifold for removal. I would do the work, the old gaskets probably rock hard by now.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:34 PM »
Thanks. Will do. The fuel pump is already off and it looks like it will be easier to access with the tie rods and oil pan out of the way. Just out of curiosity, while I'm in there will I be able to rotate the engine by hand and see if I have a stuck valve?
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:33:19 PM »
There is a removable access panel inside the front fender (remove tire first) that allows
you to see and adjust the valves after the valve cover is off. This saves removing the
manifolds to see what is or is isn't working properly.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Yes, if you take the spark plugs out and attach a socket wrench to the crankshaft, you can turn and see if valves are working.  If your car is currently running, you can also probably tell if you have stuck valve by the way it's running.  Not too difficult to adjust all tappets on a 53K without taking anything but the access panel and valve cover off.