Author Topic: Ammeter  (Read 1852 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Ammeter
« on: September 06, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »
When I'm driving the ammeter normally rests in the middle, but if I turn on the lights it goes down, or if I even put on the blinker, the ammeter "blinks" too.  I've never seen it go to the + side at all.  Is this normal behavior?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Ammeter
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »
No, this is not normal behavior. Sounds like the voltage regulator is not working properly. Try revving the engine a little and have someone tap on the regulator cover lightly with the head of a screwdriver. Occasionally, the contacts stick and the tapping sometimes breaks them loose. If that works and the needle moves to the plus side, then the contacts in the regulator need cleaned. Disconnect one side of the battery, remove the regulator cover and light sand each of the contacts. For KF regulators, there are 2 or 3 sets, depending upon the brand. If that doesn't work, time for a new regulator. For the Delco cars, it's an (NAPA) Echlin VR57. The Autolite number escapes me at the moment...I'll look it up.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:41:14 PM »
I tapped it and didn't get any response.  I started thinking it could be the generator too, and there is a test in the shop manual that says to ground the middle terminal of the regulator, rev the engine and see if the ammeter goes to charge.  It didn't, so that would seem to indicate the generator.  If I have to get it rebuilt can anyone recommend a specialty shop, or would a local alternator shop know what they're doing?

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »
I took my Generator and starter to a shop that specializes in rebuilding these things. They had lots of repaired ones there, waiting for their owners to pick them up.  This place doesn't specialize in any brand, but all of them work on the same general principles, they just have to have access to the parts, which this shop does.  The '51's regulator is still being produced, so I bought a new one, they calibrated it to my repaired Generator/starter set up, and it works great.  The manual says the regulator should be re-adjusted for winter and summer to get the best performance, if you drive all year. My shop was recommended by other old car owners as the best around here in the Everett, WA area.  Just ask around locally.  They painted them too, making sure not to paint over the manufacturer tags.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »
The 51 Kaiser generator is relatively painless to rebuild yourself. Mark Dierks and I did one in an afternoon on my car. The most difficult part was removing the bushing from the back plate that made us go to the parts store and buy a special tool. NOS rebuild kits and armatures are still available from various members who sell parts. I think I purchased mine from Terry Zueg. I hope this helps you.