Author Topic: Motor Mounts?  (Read 1574 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Motor Mounts?
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »
I'm trying to figure out which type of motor mount I need for my '53 Manhattan. I am looking at several different parts vendors, original parts manuals, and my own car. All of which are giving me conflicting information. There seems to be two types of mount. One type has a slot cut out of the bottom of the mount like the first picture below. The second type is solid like the second picture below. My car currently has the solid type. However, all of the manuals and vendors are giving me mixed up part numbers for the mounts. Some places say I need one part number and others say I need the other part number. So which is it? And what part number corresponds to which type of mount? Are they interchangeable?

P.S. The two part numbers I am finding are 207406 and 213100. But I cannot find illustrations confirming which part number goes with which type.
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Motor Mounts?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »
Go to your nearest NAPA and tell them you want a pair of 602-1020 mounts. They're about $5 apiece and are the correct units for your car. They're the slotted variety but have the right height and bolt pattern.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:27:10 AM »
Thanks! I'll be going to my local Napa tomorrow. It's funny, I was going there anyway to pick up a fitting for my carburetor. So I guess the slotted type interchange with the solid type. That's good to know. That is going to save me about $70.  ;D ;D Just to satisfy curiosity, does anyone know exactly why they had the two different styles?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:28:48 AM by shadetree77 »
Robert Trail
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1951 Packard 300

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:48:30 AM »
The two mounts look like they are the same dimensions and if so look like either would work.  Perhaps they are just two different suppliers.  I'm sure that there were several different suppliers offering motor mounts for the after market.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 05:44:32 AM »
The solid type is what was originally fitted but is no longer available...at least that I've found. The slotted style is used on other vehicles using the same 226 engine and/or same mount but different style block. Over the years, as is common, part numbers were condensed and obsoleted and this is what we're left with. The slotted style fits and works...and is inexpensive.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
Got my new motor mounts put on today. I think my old ones were pretty much toast (see below). Anyway, I ended up going with a NOS set of the slotted type that I had. Not before I tried the NAPA route though. I figured at less than $4 per mount I would just use new ones. I picked up a set from NAPA but when I got home and took them out of the boxes there were two different mounts! They're both the same type but completely different designs. One is slightly bigger than the other and has different size mounting holes. They both have the same part number so there must have been a design change along the way or maybe they switched suppliers. Either way, I didn't want to put two different sizes on there so I boxed them back up and I'll be taking them back to NAPA soon. They would probably be able to help me but the NOS ones worked just fine. If I ever need more I'll go back to NAPA. It was a simple mistake and I'm glad to know where I can get them cheap. I would caution anyone that buys them there to check the boxes before you leave the store though.  ;D
Robert Trail
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1951 Packard 300

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 01:58:02 AM »
Would these be the same mounts that I recently changed on my Henry J?  They all the same for Kaiser, Darrins and HJ's?

Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
Yes, the 602-1020 mount fits all KF. Be aware, though there are mounts that look very similar that fit the rear trans mount on the 47-48 cars. I think shadetree got one of the latter in error.