Author Topic: Windshield Washer  (Read 2556 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Windshield Washer
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:35:58 AM »
My windshield washer (53K) doesn't work and I'm not sure how it's even supposed to work.  I do see that the only thing that activates the washer motor is a vacuum line.  Also that the switch under the dash seems only to have a vacuum line attached to it.  Is that correct?  Activating the under-dash switch just opens a vacuum line, or is there something electrical as well?  Either way, is the most likely cause the motor itself, because the lines seem to be all right to me.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Windshield Washer
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:11:21 AM »
The Windshield Washers on K-F cars run off engine or fuel pump vacuum, as does the rear window wiper accessory..there is nothing electric involved.  You will have to crawl around to find all the hose lines and check for deterioration which causes leaks, attachment points on the line for connectors (any looseness because the hose deteriorates) and condition of the switch itself which can leak.  This is a more or less generic Trico unit, and works the same as vacuum GM types of the period.

Jack mueller
Club Historian

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 01:00:52 PM »
Logan,

If you determine that the vacuum wiper motor itself is the problem you can have it rebuild by the wiperman. He has a webpage at http://www.wiperman.com/

I think as Jack you have a vacuum  leak somewhere along the system.

Best,

Mark
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:35:22 PM »
Thanks, the wipers are actually electric and they work fine, it's just the washer that doesn't work.  I suppose I could have someone push the button and just take the end off at the washer motor to see if I feel vacuum.  How much would there be?  Would it be sucking noticeably?  If it is, I assume the washer motor might be bad.  Will check when I get time (which will be some time).

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »
Logan,

Please check this webpage on how to test your washer system.

http://www.wiperman.com/washservpage.html

Best,

Mark
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »
Hi,

Wiperman's test procedure seems to be a good one.  Vacuum should be first measured with a vacuum gage at the manifold point where it would be greatest, then measured at the end of the first hose run off the manifold, and so on back to see about changes.  The vacuum motors do wear out over time as seals age, just as with vacuum wiper motors.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:51:53 PM »
Good info here.  Thanks, I will try it.