Author Topic: '53 Kaiser right air vent  (Read 2101 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
'53 Kaiser right air vent
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
I'm not sure how the right air circulation is supposed to work.  There is a knob to pull for the air vent but I think it allows air in for the defrost.  I don't feel any air coming in when driving.    There is also a round door flap on the firewall up behind the glove box.   How does this all work?   thanks

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: '53 Kaiser right air vent
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »
To get fresh air in from the right vent, close the defrost vent and close the heater valve (push the cables all the way in). You'll then have fresh air coming in thru the right vent, thru the heater core and then into the car. You will also need to open the 'door flap' as that by passes the heater vent that's on top of the transmission hump and lets fresh air into the car. Not much gets thru the right vent, you're better off opening the left.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
On the 1951-53 and most likely the 1954-55 Kaisers, there is a damper under/behind the glove compartment which is not visible from the driver's seat but it is listed in the owner's manual.  When I had the '51 Kaiser here, I went out and looked for it after reading about it in the owner's manual and if I remember correctly, you just open it like a damper. The owner's manual states that one bypasses the heater and allows airflow straight into the passenger side just as the driver's side vent does. I opened the one in the '51 which is now in Weas' possession and it provided added comfort on those summer days.
I remember leaning down there and opening it by hand but the '52 Owner's Manual I have here refers to it as "foot operated" and says turn it to the right with your foot to open it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:00:38 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
If both right and left vents are open, air comes in through the right and left openings.  However, if the right vent is open and the left closed then all air is directed down through the floor heater.  So, to get fresh air 1) open the left vent, this will let outside air into the driver's compartment, if you want more air, open the right too which will direct air to the passenger side as well.  If you want heat, keep the right vent open, close the left and pull out the heater valve--you can also use the blower if you are going slow.  If you also want the defroster pull that out, but only part of the air is diverted to the windshield.

The damper Fid is talking about is operated by the right vent, but opening the left vent CLOSES this damper in order to direct heat (or cold if you don't have the heater vavle pulled out) through heater on the floor.

Joefrazer, what is the door flap?