Author Topic: Mounting an external sun shade/visor, 54 Manhattan  (Read 1165 times)

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
Mounting an external sun shade/visor, 54 Manhattan
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »
My car came with a very nice external sun shade, including 3 pieces of stainless trim.  What was missing were the side mounting and something for the center.  I went on line looking for info, and pretty much found stuff for Fulton, along with pics. of Chevys, pickups, and such, but nothing looked like mounting for mine.  So, got many questions....

1.  Did Kaiser make their own?
2.  How do most mount them on Kaisers?  Pics?
3.  Fulton stuff shows a dog bone mount on sides, that was drilled and screwed to the rain gutters.  Mine looks to have had some type of clamp over the chrome on the gutter (scuff marks on gutter chrome, no holes), with the shade needing a ss trim piece (missing) on each end, covering the free end of front trim and matching up two holes thru the visor.  (Holes in visor are elongated, assume for adjustment, but those would need to be under a trim cover that I don't have, and not sure you'd have slotted holes in the trim...???
4.  What do the one piece windshields do for a center support?  Older 2 piece windshields usually, have a couple of brackets that clamp to the center support, but no such support in 54.  Not keen on drilling any holes in top to tie it down...do you need a support to hold it up or an anchor for wind lift?

Guess it would have been good to take some photos to show what I've got, but didn't do that...too big of a hurry to ask someone...  Hoping some folks know these,  can figure out what I'm looking for... (May have to go get batteries and try some pics, if I can find that blasted camera... )

Thanks for any ideas/help that might be forthcoming!

Okie

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Mounting an external sun shade/visor, 54 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:56:18 PM »
KF used Fulton sun shields. The center mount is a two piece unit that is held in place with screws drilled into the roof. I've attached a pic of the Pontiac version...the KF unit is similar (times two). If you Google Fulton sun visor you'll see lots of pictures of them with the side mounts.

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mounting an external sun shade/visor, 54 Manhattan
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:59:58 PM »
Thanks...  That sure does look like mine.  Not so sure on likely hood to find owner from the "magazine".  Would sure like to see details on side clamps, trim pieces, and how the center is done.

It does look like a few holes might be need to attach the center supports.  Think I found a "filled" hole in my top, but only one shows through.

I found my camera, took a few shots, of stuff I have....made some alum. templates for sides, but couldn't tell how high...there were dings in gutter trim, which look to be much higher up than those in the pictures/ref. photos received.

Anyway, seeing the installed one, was a great aid.  Now have to do some figuring and fabbing...  at least 2 more sets of hands would help, too!

Bob L.