Author Topic: Old Geezer's Lament  (Read 1014 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Old Geezer's Lament
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »
I was at a banquet at the Shrine Club last Friday night. The decorative centerpiece contained a yellow plastic school bus about 4 inches wide and 8 inches long . It was highly detailed and very light weight. It had a thin skin, but internally there was a network of honeycomb reinforcement. It was made on a 3 D printer belonging to one of our members I was absolutely amazed.
 I have a lot of trouble grasping the technology available to day. It seems like only yesterday I was winding enameled magnet wire around a oatmeal container to build a crystal radio .
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
Re: Old Geezer's Lament
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »
Jim: I feel the same way as you do but I am probably 20 yrs younger than you are. I finally broke down and purchased a POS system at work and it runs on WIFI via the cloud. It was sold to me by a 65 yr old woman who assured me that it would be the best thing for my business. She was right. Nowadays you can purchase HJ trunk script in polished stainless steel and hood ornaments made of 100% plastic.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 06:53:18 PM »
I hear you.

Grandsons were fooling around on my workbench yesterday with a hammer I made in jr. high metal shop. One grandson went to the same jr. high and last year I went to an open house........ mostly unchanged, what a flash back!            Metal shop, wood shop and small engine shop all converted to computer labs.

Did an open house for same grandson moving up to my old high school, wood shop, metal shop, electric shop auto shop and drafting room........all vocational classes............ gone.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
Mark... I remember we drove the shop teacher nuts trying to keep us from chopping ourselves up!. One week a year the shop class (boys) and the Home economics class(girls) swapped places. It was hilarious. We cooked a meal for them and they changed spark plugs in the school bus for us.

Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.