Author Topic: 54 Manhattan windshield gasket replacement  (Read 3300 times)

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Manhattan windshield gasket replacement
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »
Hello All:
This is my first post in a medium I am continuously confused about so please bear with me!
Need to replace the windshield gasket and need advice with both removal and installation in order not to break the windshield.
Also need advice on how to re-install the stainless strips back into the rubber.
Thannks in advance,
Barry

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Manhattan windshield gasket replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
If you have never done this before I would recommend that you take your car to a glass shop and have the windshield professionally installed.  There are too many ways to break a $500.00 windshield and it is not worth the risk to try and do it yourself.  New windshield gaskets are available from Rudy Phillips if you need one.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »
I second that opinion! Any glass shop with experiences techs can do the job.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »
You boys aren't much help at all are you? 1) The original gasket is going to be hard and cracked and the owner may have to cut or break off either the inside or outside lip to remove the original windshield. 2) There will be a lot of dirt & rust revealed when the old windshield & gasket is removed so that has to be cleaned and painted. Think a windshield shop is going to bother to do that? 3) The stainless trim has to be removed and installed when the windshield is OUT of the car. 4) Refer to the Shop Manual on installation. A new gasket and windshield have to be warm when installed and installation requires at least 1 person outside and 1 person inside the car.  5) You need to be patient. The person on the outside is GENTLY pushing the windshield towards the car while the person inside is pulling/flipping the gasket lip up inside. The "widow's peak" in the middle of the windshield makes this process so much harder. It may look like it isn't going to work, but somewhere between 40 and 60% it will all start to seat in. 6) Most current glass businesses have only a small experience advantage in doing such an installation. 7) After a successful installation, the gasket will leak in the rain unless a sealer is applied between the gasket and the sheet metal - see the Shop Manual and Service Bulletins. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »
Thanks much for the info!  I will wait to do anything until I have a new gasket in hand.  Anything further will be appreciated.

thanks
Barry

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »
I have had good luck roping the windshield in. use a good rubber lubricant like ruglide or a silicone lube.  be patient and never force it.  you will need to gently pull to the inside and away from the post and frame. i use a thin nylon polyester clothes line.

Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252