Author Topic: '48 Frazer Manhattan  (Read 2391 times)

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: '48 Frazer Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
The Frazer Manhattan sure had nice upholstery.  Looks like a nice example but I'm not sure I like the color. I still find it amazing, how many different ways there are to misspell 'Manhattan.'  I mean it says 'Frazer' and 'Manhattan' right on the car and the seller still can't get it right.  I've driven by that place in IL a few times but never stopped. I'll have to do so sometime.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
That car is begging for a maroon roof and some nice wide whitewall tires.  He sold a green 48 Frazer that had belonged to me last year.  He puts the better cars in his building but has about 100 cars sitting in a huge circle around his property.  It is an interesting place to visit but tell them that you are going to the adjacent antique shop or they will charge you to come in to look at the cars.  It is just outside of St Louis on I-70 on the IL side.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:33:50 AM »
That color is hideous.  Gordie I have never visited but his car business has been the subject of many threads on the AACA forums over the years. He does a service bby offering the cars he has, many of which are not part of the silly culture of Camaro-Mustang-Tri Five Chevy etc crowd.  I have seen a few KF and Nash products over the years.

Many folks have "bashed" the business for selling junk at high prices.  Some of his photos lead me to believe this to be partially true.  He often lists the mileage of cars and I doubt that those cars have that stated mileage.  He calls some cars all original when they have obviously redone incorrect upholstery.  All cars run good in his ads/website but we all know if they sit and sit then if you show up there will be issues with getting a carburator car running properly.

This all sounds like I am a basher but I see both sides.  He is doing a service and a person there with money ought to be able to finagle a better price. Meanwhile I look over his inventory about 3- 4 times a year and enjoy the coffee drinking time.
No old cars owned.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »
I'd be inclined to give him some slack and not expect too much, as the prices he's asking are some of the lowest I've seen at any dealer for decent looking drivers. Never been to the lot though, just seen them on the 'net.

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »
On a trip south last October I stopped in to Country Classics and saw this Frazer. I always stop by that dealership while on the road if I am in the area because they have a lot of cars and some reasonable prices. When I stopped in I took some photos of this Frazer and then went in to ask about it and they said they just got it in and had not yet finished getting it ready. Overall it is a good starter for a Frazer fan at a very reasonable price. There are some issues with paint quality and body work but the interior looks original with only some stitching separation every so often but a good dash and even the under dash heater looks good. This looks like a car that has been stored for a long time and then freshened up with some average body work and a below average paint job. I did not have much time to stay and chat so I did not stay long enough for them to start the key and start it. When I looked it over myself the paint caused the doors to be stickey and the hood would not release so that I could see the engine. But still it seemed worth the reasonable price. Attached are a few additional photos....

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the personal experience.  These have to be fun places to stop because that's the same as when we got to go to Woolworth's back in the day with 15 cents for candy.  Candy for adults. 

I would have to go back and check their pricing on this one. If it was in maroon exterior or such it would be a nice car, rust bubbles and all.  I can't personally get past the color and your description of the paint worries me.  Maybe they have a "quickie" paint sub contractor on call for putting on some paint before putting it on the lot?
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:29:53 PM »
That is a stock color "Doeskin"  It was very popular and many were two-toned with Buckeye Maroon top.  It would depend on how nicely it runs but it could be a good looking driver without too much work.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom