Author Topic: 1952 Kaiser Manhattan Slips out of First-gear  (Read 2577 times)

wilhelm

• View Profile
1952 Kaiser Manhattan Slips out of First-gear
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »
The subject line pretty well states my problem.  I am new to Kaisers, never even seen one in person until this one was delivered a few weeks ago.  I love the look, the design; it's a beautiful car!  So, I am totally naive when it comes to the workings of a Kaiser.

I can put it into first-gear most of the time, but it seems like the shift lever should go down another inch or two.  Instead, it runs into the steel housing on the column and doesn't seem to lock into gear securely.  The second picture shows this.  About half the time, it jumps out of gear before I can shift to second.

In the first picture, is that the correct position for reverse?

Any help would be more than appreciated.  I'm a vacuum when it comes to Kaiser cars.  I just want to get this great car on the road and feel confident with it.  Thank you!
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1952 Studebaker 2R-5 Pickup
1955 DeSoto Firedome
1955 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2-dr ht

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1952 Kaiser Manhattan Slips out of First-gear
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »
It appears the sleeve or sheath around the steering column has turned which would then get in the way and not allow the lever to all the way down so the trans goes into first gear (quite evident in the second picture). I'm not familiar with the later Kaisers but I know my Henry J had a similar problem and there were two bolts loose. The two that fasten the gear "box" to the steering sector. Someone with more Kaiser knowledge should post a follow up but from the picture, it sure appears that housing around the column is turned up a bit.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

wilhelm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:06:13 PM »
Thanks for your idea, Fid.  Just now, I went out and checked the housing around the steering column.  Sitting in the driver's seat and trying to move it up and down and around and around, it is very tight.  It looks like it's held in place by 7-8 screws.  And, when I look where the turn signal comes out of its hole on the other side of the column, it looks to be just right.  When the turn signal is not on, there is the same open space above the arm as below it.  So, I'm thinking that isn't the answer, but I'm all ears to any suggestions.  Please help if you can.
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1955 DeSoto Firedome

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:34:40 AM »

Get under it and disconnect the linkage, put the trans in low then see if the linkage matches up.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »
Check the little box at the end of the steering column where the column shifting rod connects to it. Make sure it is full of grease. If
it is dry, shifting can be hard. At this box check to see if the shifting rods to the transmission are loose or have slipped. I had this
happen many years ago and had to use a punch and a hammer to pin the rod at this box. It is easy to check: Put your shift lever
in neutral and then look at the two shift rods down by this box. The shift rods should be even with the steering column. If the rods are not
even with the steering column one of them is loose or worn and may have to be clinched as I said above.. If someone shifts the car from
the inside, you can watch the action of the transmission rods. This was common when teenagers (ahem) used to power shift through
the gears and shifted too hard and fast.

wilhelm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »
Thank you for all of your ideas.  Unfortunately, I think this is above my pay grade.  To any of you in the Mesa/Phoenix area: who would you recommend to fix my '52 Kaiser Manhattan transmission problem?  (preferably in Mesa so I don't have to haul it so far)  Thanks in advance for your help!
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1955 DeSoto Firedome

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 10:27:10 PM »
If there is any chance the steel housing is interfering with the shifter, it would be easy to remove it and find out. My '51 doesn't even have the housing and possibly never did.