Author Topic: 1951 Henry J Station Wagon  (Read 2469 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
1951 Henry J Station Wagon
« on: August 01, 2015, 07:43:42 AM »
An interesting car appeared at this week's KF convention. It was billed as a 1951 Henry J station wagon, but in reality is a 1952 Henry J Vagabond that was modified and turned into a wagon. It started life as a four cylinder car that has a later six cylinder swap. The owner was honest and said he had no idea whether it was a factory prototype or a later build and after several of us looked the car over carefully, we came to the conclusion that it is a later build...although very well done.

The car used Packard tail lights, 1953/54 Ford wagon tailgate hardware and some of its roofline that was well integrated into the Henry J body. The existing HJ folding rear seat was in place and the original HJ floor pan, in perfect condition, was used as well. The master cylinder was swapped for a later hanging pedal setup and the wheels were modern mags. Otherwise, it looked period correct aside from the 40 Ford bumper guards (and bumpers hiding under the HJ units). A sharp eye will note that HJ front bumpers, hung upside down, were used on both ends of the car.

Again, I do not think the car is a factory prototype, but to thicken the plot, the SPEC-FO entry on the trim tag has a "1" in place. Regardless, the owner is having fun driving the car and I encouraged him to continue to do so. It certainly drew a lot of attention from those attending the convention!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:46:37 AM by joefrazer »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 Henry J Station Wagon
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »
Thanks for posting this Jim.  I like it. I always like when a car is customized but the original drive train (or the majority of it) is left intact. This looks like a very nice piece of work and a car any owner could be proud of.  In the early 1960s my dad was going to make a Henry J into a panel truck. Unfortunately, a careless driver converted it to an accordion before it was finished.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:10:44 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 Henry J Station Wagon
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
Thanks, love it.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h