Author Topic: 1976 Kaiser Quiz..  (Read 3156 times)

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
1976 Kaiser Quiz..
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:38:49 PM »
 :'(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:27:22 PM by jake »
EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1976 Kaiser Quiz..
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:53:37 PM »
So were the K-85 rumors ultimately proven to be rumors? It's existence never panned out?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:53:10 PM »
The front wheel driver Kaiser(s) did exist. Tom McCahill of Mechanix Illustrated drove one and wasn't impressed. For many years, a scrap yard existed in Canton, Michigan near where Michigan Ave and I-275 now intersect and that's where many a prototype from several manufacturers ended up after their usefulness had waned. In the late 70s I stopped at the yard and inquired about any KFs and was able to pull a few bits from some really rusty relics. The yard owner told me that KF sent several cars to his yard over the years and remembered some of the early ones but couldn't confirm that the K85 ended up there.

At this point in time the only two prototypes I am aware of that still exist are the AMP car (American Metal Products) Henry J prototype and a Willys Motors FC170 that was constructed by A.O. Smith. The former is in a museum in Auburn, Indiana (NATMUS) and the latter was rescued...and driven out...of a junkyard in Wisconsin. It's in a private collection and runs and drives.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »
A.O. Smith as in water heaters? Built a prototype automobile??

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:02:31 PM »
A.O. Smith was one of, if not the, biggest manufacturer of automobile and truck frames in the industry. Here is an interesting read: https://www.asme.org/getmedia/5d725794-06d2-4873-82e2-c4bbe25ced72/37-AOSmith-Automatic-Frame-Plant.aspx

A.O. Smith got involved in prototype vehicles as well as fiberglas cars when they purchased the Ionia Mfg. plant in the early 1960s. It isn't hard to believe that Smith was building prototype vehicles even earlier than 1964, but I couldn't find a specific reference. Following info from www.coachbuilt.com:
In 1953 A.O. Smith began to explore the emerging fiberglass industry with Dow Chemical, forming the Dow-Smith Glass Fiber Division in 1959 (the forerunner of today’s Smith Fiberglass Products). Initial products included fiberglass pipe and fittings for niche applications as well as FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) automobile bodies.

Dow-Smith had been supplying fiberglass subassemblies for Chevrolet’s Corvette since 1957, and following their parent company’s purchase of the Ionia Mfg Co in 1964, production and assembly of the C2 body was instituted at the Ionia plant. From 1964-1967, A.O. Smith supplied 50% of the bodies used by Chevrolet at their St Louis Corvette assembly plant.

Partially-completed bodies - they were painted and included all of the moldings above the beltline, however the interior remained empty – were shipped by rail to St Louis, Missouri for final assembly. A.O. Smith’s Ionia facility also supplied a portion of the C3’s bodywork through 1981 when all Corvette production was consolidated at the new Bowling Green, Kentucky assembly plant.

Although A.O. Smith’s Ionia plant is best remembered as the producer of the 1964-1966 Corvette, they built or modified a number of prototypes and specialty vehicles at that facility into early 1970.

Dow-Smith were known for their expertise in FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) bodywork, and in late 1963 Pontiac commissioned them to build the XP-833, a corvette-influenced fiberglass-bodied roadster that would later become known as the very first Pontiac Banshee show car. John Z. DeLorean wanted to produce the car, but GM brass nixed the project, fearing it would hurt sales of the Corvette.

Another project was two fiberglass AMX prototypes built for American Motors following the positive public reaction to the 1966 Vignale-produced AMX showcar. The 2 cars were unique in that they used unitized steel underbody mated to a fiberglass shell, but they never saw production as AMC decided to produce the AMX utilizing thee all-steel Javelin body.
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:40:37 AM »
A. O. Smith was also involved with Ford and Shelby in the late 60's, producing the GT350's and GT500's. Here's a shot of the one in our collection.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »
I see once again that a certain party (not me) has decided to retain his position of censor for this forum.  There are several posts dealing with possible front-wheel drive Kaisers missing. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:32:50 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »
The front wheel driver Kaiser(s) did exist. Tom McCahill of Mechanix Illustrated drove one and wasn't impressed. For many years, a scrap yard existed in Canton, Michigan near where Michigan Ave and I-275 now intersect and that's where many a prototype from several manufacturers ended up after their usefulness had waned. In the late 70s I stopped at the yard and inquired about any KFs and was able to pull a few bits from some really rusty relics. The yard owner told me that KF sent several cars to his yard over the years and remembered some of the early ones but couldn't confirm that the K85 ended up there.

At this point in time the only two prototypes I am aware of that still exist are the AMP car (American Metal Products) Henry J prototype and a Willys Motors FC170 that was constructed by A.O. Smith. The former is in a museum in Auburn, Indiana (NATMUS) and the latter was rescued...and driven out...of a junkyard in Wisconsin. It's in a private collection and runs and drives.

On the subject of the Kaiser front wheel drive car, I came across this interesting little item in and old Popluar Science Magazine, from October 1946, an article about a French Aluminum car developed by Jean Gregorie with American rights sold to Kaiser for consideration in their front wheel drive car. Attached is a scan of the brief article.....

Hollenway

FWD Kaiser....
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
The junk yard in this discussion was named Warhoop's.   Joe Bortz has written several articles on the
salvage operation and his adventures recovering the GM show cars.   

And by the way - censor begins with a " C " not an " S "..............  ;D