Author Topic: Henry J 4 cylinder interchange  (Read 1204 times)

Mike Richards

• View Profile
    • Email
Henry J 4 cylinder interchange
« on: September 24, 2015, 06:18:56 PM »
Will the starter and generator swap between the older and later 4 cylinders, are there other differences between the earlier and later motors?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry J 4 cylinder interchange
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
The earlier motors (both 4 and 6) used an Autolite generator, regulator, distributor and starter.  The later cars (late '52-'54 both 4 and 6) used a Delco Remy generator, regulator, distributor and starter.  You can change a distributor from Autolite to Delco without issue. If you swap an Autolite generator with Delco-Remy you need to also change the regulator and reconfigure the wiring.  You cannot do a direct swap of an Autolite starter for a Delco-Remy; not only will it not physically mate up,  the wiring is also different. The Autolite starter has a solenoid which requires the starter button to ground it whereas the Delco-Remy supplies 6 volts to the starter when the starter button is pressed.  Also, the solenoids are different and require different gauge wires to the button so even if you swap the whole engine, you still need the correct gauge wire or it won't last very long.
The fours and sixes both used the same electrical components (except of course the distributor) so they swap as long as you're swapping Autolite for Autolite and Delco for Delco.
I hope this answers the question.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Mike Richards

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
Thanks FID, I was toying with the idea of rebuilding a 51 4 cylinder to use in my 53 HJ, if I understood the starter will not swap from one to the other, that is using the delco on the 51 block, and the autolite will require proper solenoid and the right gauge wiring to work and not burn out, probably better to stick with whats there tho there will be more down time, just wrapping my mind around a plan.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:46:36 AM »
If you change the clutch housing and flywheel on the "other" motor you can then change the starters because that's the piece it bolts to and engages.  Then, as mentioned, you have to rewire the starter button with the correct gage wire.  If your goal is to simply swap a '51 motor into a '53, that can be done - just use the clutch housing, flywheel and starter from the '53 and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:49:58 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Mike Richards

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:14:43 AM »
Thanks again