Author Topic: Ignition coil polarity  (Read 1688 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Ignition coil polarity
« on: October 27, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »
If you keep a "Tec" file ,this is a good one to keep.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ignition coil polarity
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »
Back in the day when there was a "service" station on every corner, many KF owners went there for repairs. I remember there was
confusion about positive ground cars and why that was done. Most of those people were self trained mechanics. I wonder how
many coils were installed backwards giving poor performance and mileage to our cars. My dad would not tune up his Kaiser having
been shocked years before. Our neighborhood Standard did not like KF products because of this positive ground, but would work on
his car anyway. I would stand there and listen to the owner complain. When I got my own Kaiser I would tune up mine and his car
and he never went back there. I always wondered why KF did that and how it may have hurt sales and reputation over the years. I
remember Kaisers were considered under powered, but my 51'Kaiser was peppy and I won more drag races in High School than I lost
until I got tired of breaking the rear leaf spring and the gear selector and the end of the steering column.

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »
Many American cars were positive ground until they switched to 12 volts. For example, Studebaker. I guess that station owner didn't like Studebakers either.  :)
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:25:18 PM »
Yes, a lot of GM cars were positive ground till everything went to 12 volts. Then it was all neg ground. The old saying used to be "Twelve volt are negative ground the whole world 'round."  I don't know if that was true for sure or not but I have not personally heard of an American car that was 12 volt positive ground. When we started getting into solid state radios and other electronics in cars, it definitely made a difference and all needed to be the same.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »
After World War II GM cars were all neg ground both 6 and 12 volt. Just about every other 6 volt US car at that time was pos ground. Oddly the 53-55  Chrysler Crown Imperial was 12 volt pos ground. Bet lots of jumper cables got hooked up wrong.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
Willys Aeros 1952-1955 were always 6volt negative ground.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.