Author Topic: What kind of steering grease?  (Read 1245 times)

IowaTom

What kind of steering grease?
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
Was hoping for a suggestion on grease for my steering box.  I took it off, cleaned it up and replaced the seal at the bottom.  Soaked the whole thing in degreaser and am ready to repack it.  I've had success with high pressure CV joint stuff in my tired iron, but if something else works better, I'm all ears.  Thanks!

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What kind of steering grease?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:06:24 PM »
Any modern SAE 90 multipurpose grease should work as well as any other. There is no special requirement for our steering boxes other than maintenance of fluidity over the temperature range. I have avoided getting anything too modern or exotic, as what was available in the 50's worked very well.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »

On another old car site the guys are using the lube that John Deere uses in the gear boxes on their corn heads.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »
Tom,

It's probably way too late but I thought I'd post this for future reference. I use Penrite Steering Box Lube in mine (picture below). It's specifically made for that purpose and specifically designed for old/antique cars by a company in Australia called Penrite. Best way to get it here in the states is to order it from this site: http://www.restorationstuff.com/. From what I understand, it's the closest thing to the original stuff called for in the manuals. It's sort of a cross between thick grease and thin gear oil. It is guaranteed not to channel or leak which fits the requirements of the original stuff. As far as I know, this company is the only one that makes anything like this nowadays.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:57:10 PM by shadetree77 »
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300