Author Topic: Making progress on my '54 Manhattan  (Read 1146 times)

IowaTom

Making progress on my '54 Manhattan
« on: November 13, 2015, 05:05:27 PM »
Still working on the last of the mounts here, both transmission and engine.  Don't look too closely - but it all might work.
So handy having a terrific machine shop in town, able to take my cardboard pieces and use them as a template.  Want my car to look as stock as I can, but be able to zip along on the interstate. 

I've got some hanging pedals for brake and clutch.  Working against the onset of winter, for as long as I can. 

IowaTom

Re: Making progress on my '54 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 08:16:41 AM »
I'm the cheapest labor I can find, Jake!  :-)  The machinist I use in West Des Moines often waves me off after doing something but I stuff a $10 in his shirt. 

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
I have noticed with envy all the work you are doing to your car keep the info coming hope to someday see the fruits of your work

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:05:10 AM »
Are you using an overdrive transmission of some kind?  Are you able to link trans to Kaiser gear selector as well? 

IowaTom

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:19:24 AM »
I'm using stuff I had already bought before getting the car. The project reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song "One Piece At a Time".
Know the purists, whom I respect, probably think I've ruined the car, but a 226 can still go in there someday.  The tranny is an older Borg Warner T-5 (non world class) five speed and where I have that rag in the photo will be where the floor shifter goes.  Right now I'm concerned it might be so far back I will have to use bucket seats.  I'm hoping to be able to re-use the original seats.