Author Topic: Fender removal  (Read 2005 times)

rascotttx

• View Profile
Fender removal
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:42:44 AM »
Hello everyone,
My family is in the process of disassembling a 1947 GP Frazer for a complete restoration.
My question is, how do we remove the front fenders?
We have removed all the apparently visible bolts, but the fender still seems to either be stuck or attached at the back edge.
Any help would be appreciated.
Oh, and we do have service manuals, etc. but it just shows the exploded views, not the extreme details like where all of the bolts are.
Bob

1948 Kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fender removal
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »
I'm guessing you have all of the bolts out around the grille, the larger bolt at the core support and across the top of the inner fender? If so then look inside the fender well towards the back of the car. There are 5 to 7 nuts (don't recall right off hand) that follow the contour of the cowl from top to bottom. There are also two bolts more towards the center of the cowl that are door hinge bolts. At the very bottom of the fender there is a support that mounts the lower fender to the body mount. I just removed fenders from our 48 Kaiser we're restoring and from our 48 Frazer donor car so most of this is still fresh in my head. One other thing, those are weld studs on the cowl so it's necessary to lift the front of the fender up slightly and pull it forward about 2 inches then the fender should come right off.
1955 Chevy Bel-Air, 1965 Malibu SS, 1972 Ford F-250 Ranger XLT 4x4, 1994 Ford Bronco XLT 4x4, 2003 Ford F-150 Lariat Super-Crew