Author Topic: Kaiser 1953 heater fan stopped working  (Read 1640 times)

kingsgate

• View Profile
Kaiser 1953 heater fan stopped working
« on: December 15, 2015, 05:30:43 AM »
It did workk and now, annoyingly, just as the weather gets cold enough to want to run the heater and the windscreen demister in particular, it doesn't work any more.

Where is the actual fan located, and how do I get to it? Is it in the heater box under the hood? Or under the dashboard somewhere?

We changed my car up to 12 volts a few months back - are we likely to have burned out the fan motor? And is it possible to buy or fit 12 volt fans?

Any hints gratefully received to save me wasting time disassembling things where I do not need to!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Kaiser 1953 heater fan stopped working
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 05:41:37 AM »
The fan motor is located under the right front fender. If you are looking at the heater core box (large black box under the hood) it is located to its left. It's tucked under the fender.

The motor rarely goes bad, instead it may be the switch that is at fault. Try disconnecting the wire to the motor and connect it to a known good power source to see if the motor turns. If so, the switch needs replaced.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
Years ago I had a 54 elarly special (mechanically a '53) and I had to make a trip when it was supposed to be below zilch (WI.) Noted the day before that the fan didn't work, so to avoid great discomfort I spent some time blasting  WD down into the bottom of the fan and turning the blades by hand. I did manage to loosen it up to where it did work, and didn't have any problems after. Something to try before dismantling

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
I spent some time doing AC work and found most fan motor failures are caused by dry bearings and because the little motor doesn't have enough torque  to over come this, and I agree with what has been said try to get some spray lube on both bearings. Rather that wd 40 which sometimes fails in things as cold as a freezer, see if you can get your hands on a product called ZEP 45, this has silicone in it and lasts even in severe cold conditions, I have seen some zep products for sale in Home Depot.
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 08:25:24 PM »

Did you see that hes been running 12V in a 6V motor? That might be a point to consider.

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:54:10 PM »
No I didn't see that, ya think the extra volts are stuck in there? You might have a point could be a little frying happened there.
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

kenneth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 05:08:12 AM »
Hi if the heater motor is burned it can`t be to hard to fix, go to the scrap yard and find a 12v motor and make it fit, the hardest part will be to get to the motor that is located in the right front fender.