Author Topic: Fuel Pump 53 manhattan  (Read 1812 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Fuel Pump 53 manhattan
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »
Hi All

I am trying to purchase a fuel pump from Kanter and they need to know if it is a dual pump or single pump.  I have no idea.

Thanks

Mark

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fuel Pump 53 manhattan
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
Hi Mark, what that refers to is on the older 6 volt cars, many had vacuum operated windshield wipers. The problem was that when you were accelerating or had the car running in overdrive, the engine vacuum was significantly diminished. To alleviate this, there was a second pump integrated into the fuel to provide a vacuum boost for the wipers. This is what is meant by a dual action, or dual pump. If your car is a '53 Manhattan it would have electric wipers which means it has a single action fuel pump as no vacuum in is needed for the wiper motor.  A single pump is what you need.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »
Is there a diagram showing how the vacuum system was hooked up?
I have a '51 Frazer that uses vacuum wipers, but when I got the car it had a single pump on it.
I have aquired a dual pump, but I have no clue how the vacuum lines ran.

Thanks,
John

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
Thanks Fid

That gets me headed in the right direction.  I am getting a good education thanks to this fourm.

Mark

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
It's not just the old 6 volt cars that have the vacuum wipers either. Believe it or not, Cadillacs still had vacuum wipers as late as 1956! The 1956 Cadillac was 12 volts.
Regarding a diagram for the other vacuum line -
see the photo

there is a tap off of the intake manifold (see area circled in red). A line is run from the intake manifold to the "in" fitting on the top diaphram of the dual action pump. The "out" fitting then has a line that goes to the vacuum hose to the wiper motor.  If you don't have a dual action pump, the tap off the intake manifold will have a line/hose which goes directly into the wiper motor.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:28:55 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios