Author Topic: Stalling on hills  (Read 3362 times)

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stalling on hills
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »
An update on the stalling and stuttering issue. Thanks to all for ideas regarding the problem and possible solutions. Since the last post a suggestion was made by a technical panel member from another car club to add a quart of oil (any oil) to each fill-up. The oil raises the boiling point of the gas. Therefore reducing the potential for vapor lock. Have been doing that for two fill-ups and several hundred miles. Results have been no more stall, stutter going up hills, at stop-lights, etc.  In addition I've reinstalled a fuel pump. Only an electric pump before, which is now used to start the car after it sets for several days.  Have also routed the fuel line to be further from the manifold pipe. If the problem returns, I'll re-post.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »
Update on the stalling problem that started this thread. First thanks to all for the things to check or change. To further address the problem, a technical writer and mechanic for another car club recommended adding motor oil, any grade, at the rate of one quart to a fill-up of gas in order to raise the evaporation point temperature of the fuel. This worked immediately. Engine no longer stalls, stutters, hesitates, etc. Have gone about 200 miles doing this. In addition, after the oil addition seemed to be the cure, I rerouted the fuel line which was very close to the exhaust manifold and added a mechanical fuel pump. The car had been running with only an electric pump. If things do not continue to go well I'll report back.
NOTE: Had tried posting this once before and must have done something wrong.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
I've had good luck preventing vapor lock adding 10% Diesel fuel to the gasoline. Recently I bought a new Carter fuel pump for my 53 Deluxe.  The literature inside stated it is compatible with modern alcohol fuels. It is a dual action pump but could work in place of a single action one. It would not be right for a supercharged car.

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »
The new fuel pump installed on the non-supercharged '54 was just rebuilt with alcohol resistent parts.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk