Author Topic: Leaking Water Pump  (Read 613 times)

mtbearded1

• View Profile
    • Email
Leaking Water Pump
« on: August 06, 2016, 02:56:43 PM »
I just had work done on my 1948 Frazer Standard, redid the rear brakes and rebuilt the water pump with a kit I got from Don Chamberlain in Yakima WA, and the car drives beautifully now and stops--two things it wasn't doing before.  But the mechanic who did the work wasn't really familiar with this particular engine, and was dismayed (to put it mildly) to note that the newly rebuilt water pump leaks, especially when under pressure.  I drive the car from home to town (a distance of about 6 miles one way), watch the temperature gauge go up to around 230, then drive back home, which involves a considerable amount of climbing.  Once home, I park the car, open the hood to let things cool down, then add almost a gallon of water to the radiator.  Does anyone have any ideas as to why the water pump is leaking and how to stop it?  Is there some "gunk" that should have been applied to the back plate upon installation?  Or is the spring inside the pump too weak to push the back plate firmly into place?  I really want to drive this car more than 10 miles a day.

Bryan

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leaking Water Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »
Did you replace the hoses as well? A leak of that size seems more likely from hoses. Removing and replacing old hoses can cause problems. I once had a leak comparable to yours in a Wagoneer, and it proved to be a slit in the hose that couldn't be seen unless you pressed on it. Just moving old hoses around can cause leaks. If the hoses are new, check to see if positioned properly and tightened adequately.

Otherwise, there are two pump gaskets that can leak, plus the bushing. Was the kit new or NOS? Sometimes seals don't hold up that well over time. I'd carefully dry off any fluid, then start the engine and watch carefully. With that much loss you should be able to trace it.