Author Topic: Darrin shifter...info.  (Read 2444 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Darrin shifter...info.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »
PM sent

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »
Well, if its broken and doesn't work....you fix it ;) 50 years of hibernation will do that sometimes...This part is an easy fabrication...4 screws and out it comes in 1 piece....made of simple parts that are available. To be honest, I picked up all the parts I need off Evilbay to make a new one for it for next to nothing...Hence the knowledge sought to know what to look for:-) ( On a side note, I'll even be able to freshen up the original, but aware she is quite worn out. Dad did some serious driving on this one 8) ) It's a must to rebuild and I only have to make 1 part...If I looked hard enough I'd probably find that eyelet too 8) You cannot drive a car if you cannot put it in gear. The only struggle has been in confirming if a bushing; and if so what kind was used...you have to have all your ducks in a row before proceeding and not make it up as you go. Not even close to rocket science:-) ...and to follow up i was informed no bushing was used. It's just the handle eyelet immersed in grease...so a naturally sloppy movement. Now that's mechanical simplicity! I'm just in it to make her correct as she will never be All original again...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:22:07 AM by njpatera »
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
Well, if its broken and doesn't work....you fix it ;) 50 years of hibernation will do that sometimes...This part is an easy fabrication...4 screws and out it comes in 1 piece....made of simple parts that are available. To be honest, I picked up all the parts I need off Evilbay to make a new one for it for next to nothing...Hence the knowledge sought to know what to look for:-) ( On a side note, I'll even be able to freshen up the original, but aware she is quite worn out. Dad did some serious driving on this one 8) ) It's a must to rebuild and I only have to make 1 part...If I looked hard enough I'd probably find that eyelet too 8) You cannot drive a car if you cannot put it in gear. The only struggle has been in confirming if a bushing; and if so what kind was used...you have to have all your ducks in a row before proceeding and not make it up as you go. Not even close to rocket science:-) ...and to follow up i was informed no bushing was used. It's just the handle eyelet immersed in grease...so a naturally sloppy movement. Now that's mechanical simplicity! I'm just in it to make her correct as she will never be All original again...

Been following this thread from the beginning. I hear you, if it's broke you gotta fix it.......... staring at it blankly isn't going to make that happen. Sounds like you've got a "handle" on it :D
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 03:56:37 PM »
Well sweet baby Jesus...you have to love when your fabricator calls and tells you "we are going to box up the parts and make a new one on a rainy day since we have a few more things to make for you! I carefully disassembled the original... (It put up a fight, took all the measurements for later)...and she's all in working order now. Now come get it and put it back in!" 😎
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

njpatera