Author Topic: My 1953 Aero-Eagle  (Read 4078 times)

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: My 1953 Aero-Eagle
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »
It could be a 52 color if it was an early production 53.....it looks  close to Merritt Burrus's car on the FB page. It was a very well done respray. My early 54 Eagle is a 53 color. Was the backside of the dash green ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:41:01 PM by Barnum »
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
This subject was bandied about a bit when I got to where you are on my project. There's doesn't seem to be a hard & fast rule on underbody color except that when painted, it matches body color.   
http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6456.msg29943.html#msg29943
It's possibly your car has a factory repaint but I don't think it's likely since those front fender wells would be glaringly different when new, and then....... why go to all that trouble when sales were still good?

I  have an Aero friend that states very matter of factly that the Murray bodies were dipped in the final color of paint. Although I've seen other makes bodies primed that way, I can't see how the reality of runs could be avoided with paint.

Barnum could be right about a '52 color, my '54 is a '53 color. Find the least weathered spot and compound it to a shine for a good  look.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

jneely

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:44 PM »
The dash, as well as all of the other painted interior components are Saber Rouge maroon. Back side of the dash is red oxide primer. Same with the doors, trunk and right fender (which are all original to the car.) Just maroon.

The rear fender wells are blue on top, with maroon on the bottom, in the areas visible from the rear wheel wells. That spot shown in a prior post on the right inner fender is the only evidence of blue I've found top side.

My car is an upper 15000's serial number, which I believe indicates it's later in the 1953 run. At least it was assigned a VIN later in the production run.

MarkH, thanks for that linked post. I had not come across that thread before, and it seems there is a precedent for a different color on bottom side of an original car. Albeit, black would be more typical or expected than this blue color.

Thanks to all for the help
LM16094
Willys Aero-Eagles
And a few old Fords

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »
I saw a LOT of traces of gloss black on various parts but my cars were so rusty the dividing line where firewall/body color changed to the gloss black above the tank was long gone. All the other color I found on both cars was body color or red oxide, dash backside was red oxide.
I've heard of dash's repainted to match new body colors, 2 tone grey was original on many cars, and some were originally painted to match exterior but with just the more subtle of the 2 metallics added to exterior color. You might find something there when you sand yours down.
Another telling clue is the front floor deadener panel photoyou graciously posted for me.... a BIG help. That panel was not red, the remains of all mine were definitely body color.
My gut feeling is the aqua/turquoise/blue you're finding is factory............. but it's your car so go for what you like!

Red sells............ and you bought a red car!  ;D
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »
The blue-green underside is exactly what my 54 Eagle had. I believe it to be the factory primer color.

I am in Shelby Township with a similarly colored interior (now in pieces). If you want to compare things.