Author Topic: Aero VIN locations  (Read 2924 times)

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
Aero VIN locations
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
Do Aeros (mine is a 1952 Wing) have a serial number on the chassis somewhere?  Mine has the original Willys plate on the driver's door pillar and I have the engine number. DMV is asking if there is a number somewhere on the chassis and I don't know the answer.
Thanks
Member# 16191

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aero VIN locations
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
There is supposed to be one....but very often unreadable...I would just say no.
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »
The Willys mechanics manual states that the serial number is located on a plate affixed to the left front door post. It makes no mention of it being stamped anywhere else. That would make sense given the car is of unit body construction so there's no separate frame to stamp a number on.

Ive parted out several Aeros over the years...and I'm ashamed to admit one or two were very solid restoration candidates...and I never ran across a VIN stamped anywhere but on the door post tag.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 07:49:44 PM »
I've been told it's also on the rear passenger inside side panel near the floor, and inside face of passenger side front suspension support. I've only heard 2 accounts of guys actually finding them. My body shell was stripped bare & I couldn't find a trace of a stamp in either location although I've considered stamping another while the car's apart.

Telling DMV "no" certainly would'nt be untruthful from my experience.

Which state DMV is asking?
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »
It's for California.  I was attempting through AAA, but they weren't quite able to check all the boxes required for transfer  of an out of state title. They like to see the VIN in two places on the vehicle. I told them there was likely only one due to the unibody. They are sending me to DMV proper, and they may have reference books available to help them verify the year of the vehicle.
It's a Texas car and back then they apparently used the engine number for the VIN. My engine number matches my Texas title with registration documents through the decades back to the 50s that also match. That doesn't satisfy CA, as they would still like to see a 652.... VIN in two places (if a second one exists).

I just checked the two mentioned possibilities for nada.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:03:47 PM by mpc »
Member# 16191

vt2000driver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
i don't know what county you are in so this is the best i can do here is a list of independent Vin verifiers  in California hope it helps but it may cost you $       http://www.asapvehicleverifiers.com/VV2LocationsServed.html    auto club just can't do it I have tried.
1953 traveler (long gone)
1949 Bermuda tan (still in California not mine)
1953 Manhattan (parts car long gone)
1947 special (modified) Linda's
1953 Carolina my first Hydra-Matic not on road yet
1951 $520.00 delux with whiskey under front seat!

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
Thanks for those links.  I'll check and see if they can do anything with a car of this vintage.

Joefrazer, would you mind posting or emailing to me that page of the mechanic's manual? It may be helpful to show a VIN verifier that there is no mention of another location.

Member# 16191

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 11:20:02 AM »
I found Service Bulletin 328 on the cj3apage.  It lists the metal plate attached to the left front hinge post, but no other location.  It also lists the primary (plate) locations for other Willys vehicles, but this bulletin does not discuss secondary (frame) locations and I'm pretty sure the various Jeep models had stamps on the frames.  I would sure like to find a second # on my car.  I'll keep looking.
Member# 16191

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
We discussed this on the Willys Aero Facebook page and there was a Kaiser-Willys bulletin posted with the info that MarkH states. I'll see if I can locate it and post it here. Look just in front of the rear seat riser towards the passenger side.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »
California used the motor numbers for registration through 1955 and then switched over to serial numbers from the body plates.  Vehicle verifiers charge from about $60.00 to $100.00 to come out to verify vehicles and they won't have an issue like the DMV verifiers do and DMV accepts verifications from licensed vehicle verifiers without question. You might also try going to a different DMV office as most DMV employees don't know much about old cars.  Also the CHP in California does verifications free.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:22:19 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »
We discussed this on the Willys Aero Facebook page and there was a Kaiser-Willys bulletin posted with the info that MarkH states. I'll see if I can locate it and post it here. Look just in front of the rear seat riser towards the passenger side.

I knew I'd actually read that bulletin somewhere but couldn't remember where so was just passing info anectdotaly, hoping you'd weigh in. I'm going out on a limb here but I think you were the one guy I heard say you'd found it on your RF suspension support in the past.......?

I believe Lew Retzer knows who found it in the side rear seat location. He was the one that quizzed me repeatedly if I'd found mine when the car was in the metal shop a couple yrs ago.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:30:14 PM by MarkH »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »
I believe Jake posted that bulletin on here once. Also Jim Betts may have it.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »
That bulletin would be nice to see.  Maybe one of them will chime in with it.   I am still cleaning up the areas mentioned. If there is a picture of secondary numbers on someone's Aero somewhere, I would love to see it.

Thanks.
Member# 16191

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
Here is a bulletin discussing Serial location ... Bulletin KW229 pg 8 ... It says Left Front Door Post Pillar.

http://circlekf.com/sourceslideb.php?pub=KW&typ=SB&nbr=229&pag=1
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
Thanks for posting that Jim.  There is no reference to a secondary serial number marking that I'm trying to find.

It's worth the effort for me to find that second number to make sure CA titles it with the original serial number and not assign it an arbitrary new number. 

I'm thinking it probably doesn't exist, at least on my car.

Member# 16191