Author Topic: Fuel pump for a 1954 Kaiser Special with supercharger  (Read 1520 times)

Living the Kaiser dream

• View Profile
    • Email
Fuel pump for a 1954 Kaiser Special with supercharger
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:12:41 AM »
I am in desperate need of a fuel pump for a 1954 Kaiser Special with a supercharger.  The existing fuel pump has a line coming from the tank, a line going to the carburetor, and a line going to the supercharger bell.  I believe the existing fuel pump is leaking fuel into the crankcase causing pressure, which is ultimately blowing out a fuel/oil mixture out of the blow by tube at about 2000 rpm.

To compound the issue, my niece is getting married on April 29th and she really wanted the Kaiser to be her wedding car because the Kaiser is her grandfathers pride and joy and he has recently past.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The NAPA fuel pump that has been referred to in past posts only has two ports!

Thanks to all for any assistance.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fuel pump for a 1954 Kaiser Special with supercharger
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
You could have an electric fuel pump installed temporarily while you find a new or rebuilt fuel pump or have yours rebuilt.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
You can use the other pump temporarily. The extra line to the s/c only comes into play when the s/c is at full boost.

Then and Now Automotive in Massachusetts can rebuild your pump. Call them at 781.335.8860.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
If you have gas in the oil, it's leaking. The problem is your piston rings. Either you have broken rings or a burned piston. Do a compression check to verify which cylinder.

Living the Kaiser dream

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
Thank You for your response.

I had the same thought?

When I did a compression test, all cylinders have between 85 and 95 pounds compression?

I've visited with several people and have been told that the diaphragm may be defective and allow fuel to get into the crankcase.  What I don;t understand is the vehicle runs fine at idle or road speed.  One person told me that because of the fuel leaking into the crankcase, it is building pressure in the crankcase and when you get to the higher rpm, the pressure is blowing the liquid out of the blow by tube.  I would add that most of the fluid coming out is fuel, and not oil.  I can smell fuel on the dipstick.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also having some brake issues that I wanted to visit about here in the forum.

Thanks again

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »
Remove the supercharger belt and install a fuel pump for for a car without a supercharger and drive the car like that until you get the supercharger pump rebuilt at the place that was mentioned in a previous post. I would suggest changing the oil ASAP. The compression is a little low but I would not worry about it.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »
I agree that the best solution is to disable the SC and either use a regular 226 fuel pump or an electric unit.

They don't particularly explain this anywhere but the reason a SC fuel pump has an extra fitting is because the fuel pump is a chamber separated by a diaphragm. There is a pressure differential where the upper side is at atmospheric pressure and the bottom side is pressurized at about 5-7 psi above what ever pressure is in the top side. When the SC kicks in, the gas in the carb float chamber is pressurized and if the pressure is higher than what is being pumped in, it could even force the gas backwards out of the carb! The SC doesn't really put out that much boost so really the effect is to significantly reduce the amount of gas the pump forces into the carb and thus starve out the carb. 

Well, the extra line from the SC to the pump puts the pressure in the top part of the pump at SC (manifold) boost and so the bottom part can still push fuel at 5-7 psi into the carb and fuel flows like it is supposed to.

I have seen a number of fuel pumps that have casting bosses in the upper side. These pumps are rebuildable and the main item that needs replacing is the diaphragm. I wonder if the boss could be tapped, a fitting screwed in and thus convert a regular fuel pump into a SC unit. Don't forget there is a vent hole in the top of the fuel pump that has to be plugged if you are going to try this.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170