Author Topic: Brake Drums  (Read 1796 times)

rjbruins

• ICQ Messenger - 10665
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brake Drums
« on: April 20, 2017, 04:16:17 AM »
I am in need of a pair of rear brake drums for a 51 Henry J I am currently restoring. Thank-you I know someone out there has a pair.

rjbruins

• ICQ Messenger - 10665
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brake Drums
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:09:26 AM »
I'm still in need of rear brake drums for my 51 Henry J , I hope someone has a pair. Thanks

rjbruins

• ICQ Messenger - 10665
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:02:19 PM »
I'm still in need of rear brake drums for my 51 Henry J. I contacted Walck's jeep parts, they told me AMC Rambler has the same rear drums. Can anyone confirm this? I'm hoping maybe these would be easier to find.

Mike Richards

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 07:00:53 AM »
Just to try to be of help, I'm not the expert, I looked at an interchange manual and while the brake shoes were used by a couple different companies the rear HJ drums showed no interchange. If someone knows different I'd be interested in hearing it.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »
I have 2 solidly attached to a rusty '53 hulk.
You can have them for shipping charges if I can get them off without breaking my vintage hub puller.

So...suggestions on best removal methods?

Mike Richards

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:59:58 AM »
Well you have the hub puller, might take a couple days, tighten it down real tight, use a piece of metal between the puller and the end of the axle, so as not to damage the threaded end of the axle, when you take off the nut on the axle put it back on at the end of the threaded part of the axle, this keeps the drum and puller from becoming projectiles when they break lose, and use a really (really) big hammer. tighten, bang real hard, tighten and repeat. keeping the pressure on it and repeating over a period of time it will eventually "pop" off. I did this (there's posts on this, on this site) and, one morning after a couple days, I walked out to my garage and it had popped off. Hope this helps

rjbruins

• ICQ Messenger - 10665
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 04:17:25 AM »
Terry, thanks for your offer. Yes I'll take them. Hopefully they won't give you to much trouble getting them off. Let me know shipping cost.  Thanks Roger

rjbruins

• ICQ Messenger - 10665
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 04:18:00 AM »
Terry, any update on pulling off the rear brake drums? I see from your profile you live in MI. So do I so shipping should n,t be terrible. Thanks

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 06:12:33 AM »
PM sent