Author Topic: Anybody out there  (Read 3306 times)

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
Re: Anybody out there
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
I bought an NOS windshield and all 3 pieces of the rear glass from Iowa Glass Depot, between 10 & 15 years ago. The tinted windshields were all gone. Dunno if Iowa Glass still exists. W325 is the windshield number, don't remember any of the others.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »
Not that it's of any help to the current folks looking for glass, but I do have a rear windshield to fit the 54-55 cars with the large one piece window. I'll make it a good deal to anyone who can pick it up either here in northern Ohio or on May 19-20 in Columbus Indiana. Sure wish I could help the others!

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
Not that it's of any help to the current folks looking for glass, but I do have a rear windshield to fit the 54-55 cars with the large one piece window. I'll make it a good deal to anyone who can pick it up either here in northern Ohio or on May 19-20 in Columbus Indiana. Sure wish I could help the others!

That one piece panoramic glass is quite rare. After searching several dozen glass suppliers only the reproduction windshields have turned up, a couple used clear small rears, and one 1 piece E-Z Eye panoramic glass. After seeing prices for reproducing a small window, just imagine what getting one of those reproduced would cost, if you still had one for a pattern. I've gotten a couple more quotes for small tinted just north of 3K.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »
Got a call out of the blue today from an auto glass supplier I've spoken to a couple times in the past year. They seemed sure they found a good used tinted rear in a boneyard, $575 delivered to a local glass shop of my choice. After the repro numbers I've been getting it seemed like a bargain.
If anyone comes up with one, I'll still buy it for a spare.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
One specialty custom & rod glass shop says with my back glass in hand, they can cut one out of a windshield they physically match to for $800, plus shipping both ways.

Almost 40 years ago, I knew a man in Inglewood, CA named Steve Nicas. In the early 1960's, he saved a barn find Tucker for about $50. It had all flat glass except for the small rear window, which is curved. Of course, his was broken and he needed one. After years of searching, he found a glass shop who matched the curvature to the rear glass from a Pinto Runabout hatch glass, cut it down and that's what's still in the car today. Steve is long gone, was an old man then, but last I knew, the car is on loan/display at the Balboa Museum in San Diego. Steve also had a Franklin sedan.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:07:23 PM by Aeroman »
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »
Well, back to square one. got a call from the glass suppplier, boneyard was wrong and they actually have a clear.

So, if anyone has a tinted small in their parts collections I'm all in. In the meantime, I'm back to getting estimates from glass benders.