Author Topic: Hackenberger Auction - Online Bidding  (Read 3489 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Hackenberger Auction - Online Bidding
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
Here are two links to the 700 car Ron Hackenberger auction in Norwalk, Ohio. I had the opportunity last weekend to see many of the relics to be sold and most would be challenging restorations, but there are a few decent drivers sprinkled in as well. If you're in the market for anything from a driver to a parts car, check out the list.

Online bidding can be done here:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=127998

https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=127999

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
Re: Hackenberger Auction - Online Bidding
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »
Many Kaisers, Studebakers, even a Willys Aero (1953 Lark). And many more esoteric cars: Goggomobile, King Midget, Hudsons, the list is endless. Go browse, amazing.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 12:43:58 AM »
I remember seeing that J on another site years ago.  Caution - it was a 4 cylinder which was converted to a 6 cylinder but it does not have overdrive. If it still has the original 41/9 (4:55) rearend which the '51 four cylinder cars had, behind a 6 cylinder engine without OD it's good for 45 mph and that's it. Add OD, and you'd likely have a fun car to drive.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:56:43 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:55:42 AM »
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=127998&p=1&sort=0#cnTb

1st page link.

My 2 cents- this would be fun free entertainment to be at and observe. I am not real happy with Yvette's and I assume the seller's approved on line bidding and removal status. 

So, this gentleman has collected these cars over decades.  Now, Yvette wants a 13% on line bidding premium and a $50 deposit just to bid.  Then, the cars need removed within 7 days and thereafter are charged a storage fee. 

I would agree that most cars would be removed within 7 days anyway.  If you purchase one of his rarer projects, then you want to secure it. BUT - can you imagine the trailers, trucks, haulers coming in and then trying to comply with the request to remove within 7 days???

It seem to me that was put there over several decades ought to be allowed new homes within 3-4 weeks.  After that, consider them abandoned.   

I just won a car at an Iowa auction with an 8% on line premium to bid and 7 days to remove, but it's 160 miles away and there is no verbiage about a storage fee after the 7 days. 

It was also my experience with the auction I just won a car, that prices were quite high.  I had gone to a couple of winter auctions and prices were low for collector level projects. 

This Hackenberger auction, at least from the 17 pages of cars and such, is almost too much.  I lost track and I am sure went past some interesting cars.  The Studebaker crowd will be strong at this auction that is for sure. 

Like I said, it would be fun to attend and follow the fireball Yvette around and see where cars end up.  But I would have to line up a shipper ahead of time.    That 1949 and 1948 Frazer interest me, a lot.    It's just hard to wrap your head around where bids will be at that time.  Will the money be spent and those cars go for $400 or so?  Or will they end up around $1500??   I just don't know.
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »
I plan to attend - if just to people watch and see the show. The sale will be well attended and I'm sure that will impact what things fetch. And who knows, one or two cars just might follow me home since I'm only an hour away.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
I emailed a couple times to get more info on the Aero, asking if they had located the parts removed for the paint work and specifically the back glass. Considering the remaining glass is all tint, I'm guessing the back glass was previously scavenged. Looks like a good windshield but some of the side pieces are cracked.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »
I like the bumper cars, there are about 15 in the photos but only about 5 up for sale.
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »
A few results from the auction:
- The Darrin brought $20K. The body had fiberglass that was delaminating so it will need quite a bit of work but on the other hand, the car came with a hardtop shell, a 2 carb manifold and some provenance - it was originally owned by Walter Pidgeon.
- The 51 Frazer convertible sold for $7500. Strong money for a car that needs it all. But, it is essentially complete.
- There were seven Henry J/Allstates. The cheapest sold for $1000, the best car of the lot fetched $5250. A 52 Allstate shell sold for $1500 - much more than I thought it was worth (pic attached).
- The 53 Dragon sold for $2300, well sold and well bought...cheap entry into Dragon ownership. Now the expensive part begins!
- An absolutely rust free 54 Manhattan sold for $2300, again well sold and well bought.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 05:47:53 PM »
Jim thanks for the update.  I would agree on the Dragon price and the 54 Manhattan.  Wasn't there a convertible conversion 51 ?
No old cars owned.

dogwalkfinds

• View Profile
    • dogwalkfinds
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
I bought the '48 Frazer from the Ron Hackenberger auction. I just got it home a couple of days ago and spent most of the weekend cleaning it out - what a mess inside! Not much of the interior is left. It's a model 485 that started life Airway Blue. Seems to be very complete except its missing the stainless trim off the front passenger fender. Looks like many, many years ago it must have had a rod knock on number 1 cylinder since the pan was taken off and the rod cap was removed (both still with the car!). The engine turns fine, but I'm going to need to get the crank done and a new set of bearings (at the very least) to get it running again.
Anyway, figured some of you might have seen this car and wondered about it. It's going to need everything, I'll likely be needing plenty of advice.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:44:16 PM by otter50 »
'48 Frazer
'50 Dodge truck
'53 Plymouth
dogwalkfinds.blogspot.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
Glad to hear that the car was saved. Ron bought many cars with the intention of getting them back on the road. Most didn't make it but with new owners, hopefully many will.

Keep us informed of your progress!