Author Topic: Willys Rear Drums  (Read 2807 times)

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
Willys Rear Drums
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »
I could use any hints to remove the rear drums off my Willys Eagle. The axle nut and washer are off. I have been pulling at the wheel studs and pushing on the axle center with a puller with no detectable movement.

Thanks for the help!

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Willys Rear Drums
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »
You need a puller designed for removing a brake drum from a tapered axle. A general purpose three prong puller is not strong enough to break the drum loose from the axle. Also the nut needs to be on the axle but backed off about an 1/8 of inch when breaking the drum loose from the axle. The nut on the axle will prevent the drum from 'flying' off the axle when it comes loose and hitting you. A local KF Club member may have a puller or a tool rental place may have one.

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:21:02 AM »
Thanks - I will try to track down a puller for a 4 lug wheel.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »
I use a three prong puller on my Henry Js all the time. You do have to "shock" them off which means, tighten it to get some tension on the puller, then hit it with the biggest hammer you've got.  Any good puller will have a spindle which can be hit with a hammer as that was pretty common.  Be sure to first remove the nut, then put the nut back on backwards (castleated end inward) till it is flush with the end of the axle, then put the puller on it and smack it.  It may take a few whacks but it will come off.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:39:07 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »
Success - drums are off. Used some 3x3x3/16 angles bolted to the lugs and hooked to the screw of my puller. The secret was huge whacks on the back side of the angles, which were overhanging the drums.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »
Good news. Be sure they're adequately tightened when reassembling. If you hear a metalic clicking / snapping when you start out from a stop you may have to tighten them to the next hole the cotter pin fits in.  But of course caution must be used to not tighten them too tight either.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios