Author Topic: '48 Kaiser interior fabrics  (Read 939 times)

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
'48 Kaiser interior fabrics
« on: July 09, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »
I need to purchase all new fabric for the interior of my car and would like to get as close to the original as possible.  Does anyone out there still have a car with the original interior with whom I could converse and hopefully get some pictures, name, phone, email?  Has anyone had good/bad experiences with a particular fabric company?  Any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Carl Eidsness
1948 Kaiser Special
1959 Ford retractable hardtop convertible
1929 REO Flying Cloud coupe
1929 REO Flying Cloud sedan

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: '48 Kaiser interior fabrics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I still have the original interior but it's in rough shape. I know sms and lebarron Bonney will reproduce it but it's more than I can afford right now and I heard that someone has been waiting nearly 2 years for sms to do theirs.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
I carefully split the seams on the best parts of my original Aero upholstery to get photo closeups of good unfaded material. Emailed those to SMS and they sent back samples that matched both perfectly.
They were one yard short on the striped pattern but would duplicate for a 5yd minimum at $125 per yd. I was already going to order extra anyway so I went with that.
6 week projected timeline, now at 12 weeks.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
I've sent samples to sms and lebarron Bonney. Both sent back samples that weren't all that close. I remember reading somewhere that sms was supposed to be remaking material for them and at that time it was close to 2 years. Sms kept telling them it would be few more weeks so good luck with that.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
I've sent samples to sms and lebarron Bonney. Both sent back samples that weren't all that close. I remember reading somewhere that sms was supposed to be remaking material for them and at that time it was close to 2 years. Sms kept telling them it would be few more weeks so good luck with that.

SMS's delays are legendary but I'm trying it, credit card has been billed so hoping that's a motivator. I also got a sheet of very nice period correct alternate samples that were stocked but would really like the original patterns.

Update: Just checked email and found this reply to my timeline inquiry this morning."Pattern is almost ready—then we start weaving.

Doug"

That ought to be good for another 12 weeks ::)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:14:53 PM by MarkH »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu