Author Topic: GEL COAT VS PRIMER  (Read 3533 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
GEL COAT VS PRIMER
« on: April 17, 2010, 07:29:39 PM »
A local Corvette shop has recommended Deltron DPS 3055 instead of gel coat to finish restoration on a Darrin body. 
Does anyone  have experience with this product?
Thanks in advance.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GEL COAT VS PRIMER
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:05:22 PM »
Terry - PPG's Deltron DPS 3055 is their version of a typical, modern day, 2K (2 component) urethane surfacer. Just about every paint manufacturer has a similar product, the main difference being price. The Corvette shop you mention, I would imagine, is familiar with this PPG product, therefore, they recommend it. The 2K surfacers are my choice for every car I restore, in fact, the Darrin (#145) I completed last summer is wearing it! And, it sure beats the heck out of the stuff we were using in the sixties (for body repair, I mean)!!

Gary (darrin145)

pateraclass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:53:49 PM »
Greetings...just happened to catch your post on the PPG primer.  Getting ready to resurrect #388 and my Dad was wanting to get info on how to gel coat the old girl...So do you recommend the PPG primer instead of the gel coat? or would you still gel coat if your not worried about a lot of  sanding? Thanks in advance..Noah
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:06:22 PM by pateraclass »

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »
Noah - Leave the gel coat on the shelf at the boat store! Do the body work and use a 2K primer/surfacer. It doesn't have to be a PPG product. There are several paint manufacturers to choose from. The brand I use, from DuPont, costs about $125.00 for a gallon of primer and a quart of actvator. I've been using the stuff for years with no problems on fiberglass or sheet metal. Oh, and don't worry, you will be doing a lot of sanding, no matter what product you choose!

Gary (darrin 145)

pateraclass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
Thank you very much! Regards, Noah  #388