Author Topic: Too cheep to do new artwork"?  (Read 642 times)

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
Too cheep to do new artwork"?
« on: July 26, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
I'd like to buy some vintage magazine ads to show later when my car is finished.  Since it is a '48 Kaiser I'd like ads showing the '48s.  You can find a lot on E Bay right, wrong.  Many of the advertisements for sale are labeled "1948 Kaiser", but in fact they are not.  I know Kaiser started advertising the 1948 model in 1947, so an ad from a 1947 magazine that pictured a 1948 model would be just fine, but I am unable to find a single one.  All the cars pictured, even ones above text that talks of 1948 cars, are actually 1947s, i.e. with the Kaiser and Frazer letters separate, not with the line underneath connecting them, as was the case with the 1948 cars.  Can anyone explain what happened in '48.  Was KF's advertising department too cheep to have new artwork done showing a 48 car?

Awaiting enlightenment,
Carl Eidsness
1948 Kaiser Special
1959 Ford retractable hardtop convertible
1929 REO Flying Cloud coupe
1929 REO Flying Cloud sedan

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Too cheep to do new artwork"?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:01 PM »
!947 and 1948 Kaisers and Frazers are basically the same car and in late 1947 they started adding the one piece hood and trunk emblems on them.  If you look again at Jim Betts website he has practically every magazine ad ever printed and I don't know of any ad that pictured a true 1948 model and that is true of factory photos also.  1948's are very few and for all practical purposes are the same car.  The same is true for Ford, Mercury Lincoln, Nash, Dodge  Plymouth, DeSoto and Chrysler, Crosley, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and others.  Hudson had a new car for 1948 and so did Cadillac.  Studebaker for 1947 but all had basically the same cars right after WWII and the big change came in 1949 for most models and after that they had small modifications every year.  You may find some newspaper ads that show 1948 Kaisers but I have never seen one and do not know anyone who collects them.  Kaisers and Frazers made during 1947 and 1948 show four bumper guards in front and the earlier Graham Paige cars had only two so if you collect the later ads they will be just like your car except for the trim.  Some of the ads show the Frazer  with two-tone paint which never happened but soon after those ads the Manhattans were announced  and they were available in two tone.  Enjoy your car and whatever you collect for it and I am sure that no one will challenge you on minor details.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom