Author Topic: Darrin  (Read 1295 times)

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
Darrin
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
  CARTER YF 2071S CARBURETOR 1954 KAISER DARRIN KAISER FRAZER KF

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTER-YF-2071S-CARBURETOR-1954-KAISER-DARRIN-KAISER-FRAZER-KF-/122640955037?hash=item1c8df8769d:g:3n8AAOSw0W1ZjG0j

Do not buy this..  It will not work on the car..

The only part that is correct in the center part..

Darrin owner to Darrin owner..
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:29:10 PM by jake »
EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Darrin
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »
  CARTER YF 2071S CARBURETOR 1954 KAISER DARRIN KAISER FRAZER KF
What exactly is wrong with this carburetor?
Be specific.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTER-YF-2071S-CARBURETOR-1954-KAISER-DARRIN-KAISER-FRAZER-KF-/122640955037?hash=item1c8df8769d:g:3n8AAOSw0W1ZjG0j

Do not buy this..  It will not work on the car..

The only part that is correct in the center part..

Darrin owner to darrin owner..

What exactly is wrong with this carburetor?
Why will it not work on a Darrin?
Be specific.

darrin005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
For one thing the base is wrong. The 630 base is for a 4-cylinder engine (has a smaller throat). The top has also been changed out, as the original 2071S had a ribbed neck. While different Carter tops will physically fit, the internals are not the same for all. I went through this on my 2071S carburetor and fought internal issues for along time until I found a Carter data sheet for it. In my case the smooth neck top that someone put on did not have a key airway drilled out, as well as having the wrong metering rod and needle and seat assembly. Obviously one will not know what they have until the carburetor in opened up and examined.  So with that said, I get very concerned when I see pieces form three different carburetors put together as one. 

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
as I understand, the accelerator pumps, as well as needle and seats, are interchangeable.

as far as the base, that can be changed out also.

I know of a Darrin that ran around with a 4-cly. carb for years before I sent him a 6 cyl one--note--it ran around for years!!!

I have run my 161 F-head HJ with a 161 L-head carb, then changed to a F-head carb and could not tell the difference.

bottom line is that to say it will not work on a Darrin is crap==I do not claim that it is an except replacement, but it would surely run the car down the road, or at least to and from the trailer for the wusses than do not drive them at all!!

darrin005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
Are the parts physically interchangeable.....yes. Does not mean that they are the correct part(s) for the carb...... NO. For example I believe that there are no fewer than 4 different accelerator pumps for the YF carb that vary in shaft height and where that groove is on the shaft for spring keeper. There are also several different needle and seat combinations. The standard rebuild kit that most people sell for the Darrin contains a needle that is too tall. You can you make it work by bending the tab on the float to get the correct height, but run the risk of having the needle get ******eyed in the housing it travels in and when the float is all the way down it can jam, therefore not seating properly and causing the engine to flood. There are also several different jet and metering rod combinations. Bottom line is that when multiple different carburetors have been used to create one, you have to be very careful to make sure that it will work properly. I have been there and done that!

The bases can be changed out (I did not say they couldn't), but the one you show is for a 4-cylinder engine. There is a reason that Carter made bases with different throat diameter. The 630 base you show on your carb will fit and work, but not correctly. It has a smaller throat and therefore will restrict the amount of air that can flow through it.

The top of the carb is another thing. If is not made to mate with the bottom part (i.e. the air/fuel passageways) then it will not work. Also have been there and done that.

Bottom line line is that for you to say that it will work on a Darrin is crap unless you have done so, or verified that all the parts used to create it are correct! I did not see either statement in your ad and for an asking price of $325 I would expect that.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
I hope the non-Darrin folks are paying close attention also. The Carter YF was an excellent basic design carb in it's time. It was used in a very wide range of applications by just fine tuning by using different  parts. Yes you can bolt them up and make them work to some degree in different applications,but remember this ... They would not have been made different unless there was a need for it.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 12:12:53 AM »
BTT
EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..