Author Topic: 2019 KFOCI National Meet  (Read 6046 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
2019 KFOCI National Meet
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »
We know that the 2018 National meet will be held in Kingsport, Tennessee but to my knowledge, a location for the 2019 meet has not yet been determined. I have something in mind but don't want to step on any toes if someone else is already working on hosting the meet.

If there's talk of a location, please let me know.

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2019 KFOCI National Meet
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 07:46:10 PM »
You should contact John Buckinger, we were talking about that yesterday.
Lee
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
So, we've been in contact with the Dayton (Ohio) convention and visitors bureau and they would very much like us to hold our 2019 convention the their city. In addition to the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum, the city also hosts a minor league baseball team (something different to do), as well as being a short drive to the Kings Island amusement park. They've also promised other activities too.

While nothing is set in stone, the folks from the bureau said they would assemble a list of hotels that would met our needs (parking, swap space, hospitality room, meeting rooms, etc) in addition to ensuring ease of access. With three major interstates running thru or around the city, as well as three major airports close by, getting there and back shouldn't be a concern for anyone.

Again, this is only a proposal at this time - no commitment has been made - but it is worth thinking about. 2019 is a long way off but putting together conventions takes time to be sure we end up with a meet to remember.

Your thoughts?

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »
That would be great!
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
I lived in East Tennessee for many of my formative years so I am biased towards a National in Kingsport.
However, I don't recall a KF National held in Ohio. I have had to drive through that state to get to several other KF Nationals.
It is encouraging that the Dayton OH Visitors Bureau is interested. Frankly our convention is on the high side of a small attraction. If the Visitors Bureau is enthusiastic, perhaps a better motel deal can be cut.
How exciting is Dayton OH? Wright-Patterson AFB is a good start, but I have found that most areas have plenty of attractions nearby. Just start digging.
I will point out that one of the earliest KF Nationals was held in Wichita KS during a summer month.

KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
Attached is a list of all national meet location. Ohio hosted twice - but that was a long time ago!

I had to save my Word doc as plain text because the Word file format isn't permitted here.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
Jake: We had a Midwest Divisional Meet at Harold Warp's Museum in Minden NE. Just a fast trip through his museum was a 9AM to 2 PM trip. Bill Dalzell almost had to go to the hospital because of  breathing problems. It turns out the grain silo across the street was blowing a large amount of particulates at 7 stories above street level and no one saw it it unless they almost straight looked up. There was also 1 or more feed lots on the outskirts of town so there was a number of flies in the area. The locals were so used to it, they didn't notice!
But I agree, there can be enough attractions to entertain in KS, NE, and even non-Sturgis SD.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

flamingchariots

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 09:48:12 PM »
I think Dayton, Ohio would be great, but I have selfish motives ----- distance.
I don't go to car events for other things to do (although I recognize that many folks do).
I go to see the cars!  And hopefully LEARN more about them, especially mechanically; and also to socialize with other owners.
Most of my attendance has been for Corvairs, with an occasional Nash.  I have only briefly been to one KF area show a few years ago. 

Here's hoping!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »
After looking at Jim's list of Nationals, I think, just my opinion, Dayton Ohio is "pretty close" to Tennessee. 

And no offense to Dayton, but it does not jump off the map as a place I want to go to.

I live in Des Moines, Iowa and the Olds Club of America had a National meet here INDOORS at our A/C convention center. I still would not highly recommend Des Moines, any more than Dayton. 

It's tough, but basically I would personally choose spots with good drive-ins (not the movie variety, but routes to get to the meet. I would choose nostalgic opportunities, automotive and/or transportation museums. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
How about a north central location such as New York?  This would swing it back NE.  Then back to mid west then west.
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:56:58 PM »
The Southern Michigan and Northern Indiana  area is loaded with car museums.  We did go to Shipshewana a few years ago but it has been a long time since we have visited the Detroit area and it is full of old car history including Kaiser-Frazers'.  The Mid-West is more centrally located with a large population of our members and it is equal distance from both coasts which means that more members can get there.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »
National meets are hosted by the club's divisions. There are three - Eastern, Midwest, and Western and the meet rotates thru each one, year after year. The 2018 meet is in the Eastern division, so for 2019 it's up to the Midwest folks to host. Dayton was proposed because the convention and visitors bureau has been in contact with the club for some time and we thought that since they have their ducks in a row, we'd let them assemble a list of things to do and places to go...which would take some of the burden off club members. If you've ever hosted a large scale event, then you know what it takes to make it happen. Letting someone else do that much really makes planning much easier and less stressful. I'm the Vice President of another foundation (not old car related) and I work with a small team to host a yearly event that draws several thousand people so I can tell you that a little help like this goes a long way!

While the Dayton site is not cast in granite, no one else from the division has stepped up to the plate and offered to host. So, we're going to take at least the next step and meet with the bureau folks and take a driving tour of some of the places they'd like us to visit. If we like what we see, we will move forward with formally proposing Dayton as the site for the 2019 KFOCI convention.

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 07:58:58 AM »
Air Force Museum...that would be almost a full day:-), Wright Cycle Complex, Packard Museum....Great potential!
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
I chose my words carefully because if you and others are willing to push Dayton along then those of us on the outside basically not doing anything should not impede that process.  I know national meets and shows are a lot of work. 

I was not entirely aware of the regions.  After it goes back out west, and returns I think the next Midwest meet should be a homecoming of sorts.

Some clubs do that, where they meet once every few years as a homecoming. 

No old cars owned.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
While the Dayton site is not cast in granite, no one else from the division has stepped up to the plate and offered to host. So, we're going to take at least the next step and meet with the bureau folks and take a driving tour of some of the places they'd like us to visit. If we like what we see, we will move forward with formally proposing Dayton as the site for the 2019 KFOCI convention.

True or False: you already presented this at the recent Midwest Meet & it was turned down.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com