Author Topic: Henry J Car - Information Needed  (Read 1632 times)

lmw12398

• View Profile
    • Email
Henry J Car - Information Needed
« on: January 08, 2018, 06:44:04 PM »
New member here, and I’m looking for some information. I have what was originally sold to my family years ago as a 1951 Henry J. In looking at the plate under the hood (photo attached) and from what I can find, it appears to be a 1952. In my research, it looks like it might be a Vagabond or a Corsair Deluxe.

I would like to confirm the true model and year if possible and determine the value. The motor is a supersonic six and the head has been removed from the motor, but all parts are in the car. The body is in good shape, but both rocker panels are rusted and the passenger side door hinge post is rusted. There is one pothole in the floor pan behind the passenger seat. The hood has small slits at the hinge points due to flexing caused by rusted hinges.

Bumpers and grill are dent free, but need re-chromed. I also have all 4 original hub caps and all glass is original and intact. All seats have good springs and are still covered in the original fabric. The tail lights and lens covers are in the trunk.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:49:09 PM by lmw12398 »

lmw12398

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry J Car - Information Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
Additional Pictures

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:20:14 PM »
The serial number and upholstery, trim and paint codes identify it as 1952 Corsair Deluxe. Trim code 4481, McConnell Plaid (the picture indicates that is what it has) and paint code 399, Willow Gray were not available on the '51 or the '52 Vagabond. Based on all of this and the tail lights being on fender crowns, it has to be a '52 Corsair Deluxe on which someone installed a '51 grill / front end. It is not uncommon to see that on the Henry J. Since they used one body and it had bolt on fenders etc. you often saw them put restored/customized with a mix-match of parts/features from different models and years.  It could've had front end damage way back and someone found a '51 front clip and installed it or someone just decided they liked the '51 grill better and replaced it. This happened quite often with the Henry J.  What's interesting is the paint code is Willow Gray so whoever changed the color took the care do the cowl as well. It would be interesting to see the interior paint to see if it was changed to blue or if it's still Willow Gray.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

lmw12398

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »
Thank you so much. The information you provided is extremely helpful.

The interior is still willow gray. Do you happen to know an approx. value of the car?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
Do you happen to know an approx. value of the car?

Sorry, that's one question I'm never comfortable answering. Maybe someone else on here.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

lmw12398

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »
I understand. Thank you again for your help.

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
Nice starter car. There are a number of on line places to post your HJ. I started a FB page "HenryJ's" and there is another "Henry j world", plus some designated web pages, one being http://www.henryjcars.com/choose.html.

It is very tricky trying to put a price on a car that we are unable to see in person. It can be as low as 2000$. You don't say where you are as this seems to change the value of cars. It seems people in the western states value cars higher than the ones in the east, rust etc.

Hope it goes to a good home.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »
Henery's Henery's is oh so CORRECT.
I have picked up (2) two FREE 51 Henry J's bad shape.
My opinion on buying differs from the norm. For one buying a car  LIKE the one you are showing will need to be hauled,1000.00 bucks easy, then is it worth your hauling time, and to make it run and drive.
 ...So if its 100 miles away from ME I'd give 200bucks and it better have a clear title. Is it worth more, PROBABLY, so you have to have the repairing skills or DEEP hire it done pockets, most of the time your BETTER off buying one that >>>starts, stops-n- drives<<<<. The DESIRE to own one or THAT ONE has its own value. If I was in the market and had a MUST have "that one attitude" i'd probably give (upon ACTUAL inspection) 500 to 1000.00. Why because of what it will take to get it to the start,stop,drive condition. Tires,brakes,engine work,MISSING parts,all add up QUICK.
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...