Author Topic: Owned by Henry Kaiser himself  (Read 1088 times)

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Owned by Henry Kaiser himself
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
This Jeep for sale on Ebay is way too unique to be run of the mill, do you think the story is true?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192429327341?rmvSB=true
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:37:37 PM by 51Deluxe »

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Owned by Henry Kaiser himself
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
That is certainly an interesting story and plausible.  Does anyone remember the vehicle in Hawaii?
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »
I have a list of Kaiser company owned vehicles that stretches into the early 60s and this one isn't on it. The only wagon listed is a 48 and the one in the article is later given the one piece windshield. Perhaps either Henry or Ale owned it personally and if so, the story could be true. I'm more inclined to believe it may have been a sightseeing vehicle that was based at Henry's hotel in Honolulu. He was known to use pink vehicles since it was Ale's favorite color.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 06:15:05 PM »
................Perhaps either Henry or Ale owned it personally and if so, the story could be true. I'm more inclined to believe it may have been a sightseeing vehicle that was based at Henry's hotel in Honolulu............................

Either one is plausible, and someone certainly went to a lot of work and expense to stretch it and install those bent glass roof panels. Having the photo of it with Henry Kaiser puts the 2 together, but it sounds like their factory documentation states it's a "one off" and nothing more. Can't help but wonder why the documentation isn't posted to boost interest. I've seen a couple similar "stretch" Jeep Rurals on the Rural group page but none had the roof glass. All in all though, it seems Henry Kaiser at least rode in it, and it would be fun to own.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
The location in the picture looks like Hawaii Kai, a development project that Henry oversaw. I visited the area several years ago and was amazed at the number of homes packed into the area...and their asking prices.