Author Topic: Early Henry J for sale in Michigan  (Read 1712 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Early Henry J for sale in Michigan
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:49:18 PM »
This is not my car so I know little about it. I do know the ad is wrong where it states "This is a six cylinder which few were made" simply not true.  May be a nice car.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1951/kaiser/other_kaiser_models/100909510

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kghills

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Early Henry J for sale in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »
Pretty car, asking price $23,995.00 wonder where that stands with current market?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
asking price $23,995.00 wonder where that stands with current market?

It's a bit (or more) high. I doubt it will fetch that price.
A couple of years ago nice original Henry Js were going for around $16,000.  This one is not as original/authentic as the seller thinks (as it's often hard for them to know).  I think this is the one that was pictured next to an old airplane, with a female pilot, on a calendar a number of years ago.

1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
It is a pretty car and has what we used to call "Inkster" skirts which were made in Inkster Michigan and were very long.  It also has a correct 1946-7 Ford heater and I noticed a non original radio under the dash on the far left.  It will be interesting to see what it sells for.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kghills

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »
I have sort of been actively looking for the past couple months.  Very few nice correct or close to correct cars offered.  Seems somewhat difficult to gauge value.  Actually when I think about it I think this is the only other one I have run across,
https://cyclecentralinc.com/Automobile-Other-Henry-J-1951-Loveland-CO-1dca3479-58af-4aa4-b8bc-a5e000cecdde
and it looks to have been for sale for at least a year and a half.

LOTS of gassers out there though!

Keith. 

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 03:52:08 PM »
this is the only other one I have run across

That car is still for sale?  Surprises me as not only is it quite nice, it's a bit unusual, but not extremely rare, in that it has all vinyl upholstery.
If I was looking for a nice original J (and I'm not at this time), I'd pounce right on that one.  An all vinyl upholstered '51 six cylinder with overdrive is an interesting example.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

jbailey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
The J in the Michigan auto trader ad is interesting as the first picture shows a green hood and the 7th picture appears to show a white hood.  I like the two tone look better.

John B.

1952 Willys Aero Wing basket case
1961 Chevrolet Corvair 700 4- door.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 08:42:45 AM »
I think that "white" hood is just reflection - the photography is horrible!!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 02:15:51 AM »
https://cyclecentralinc.com/Automobile-Other-Henry-J-1951-Loveland-CO-1dca3479-58af-4aa4-b8bc-a5e000cecdde

A few enteries earlier in this thread is the above link (as a link) for an alternative to the original Green HJ.  If this Henry J (it's a 1951 Blue Satin 6 cylinder model) is as good as it is pictured this could be a car worth pursuing.  The photos suggest the car has its original interior and is the not often seen combination of deck lid with folding rear seat back (creating a mini-Traveler type of car).  It needs to be completly gone through to verify against the body informtion tag and that it's as sound mechanically and body as it appears to be.  That includes having a properly working overdrive transmission attached to the 6 cylinder motor. 

The 2017 COLLECTORS CAR PRICE GUIDE put out by the OLD CARS people in Iola WI lists a condition #2 price for the 6 cylinder HJ at $13,860: a 4 cylinder version is listed in the same source for about $1,600 less in condition #2.  IF the car is actually in #2 condition, is properly represented in the listing (the Blue one) and the dealer offering it (seller) is negotiable on price, this could end up being a fair price for both sides.

Note this is just one person's opinion based on the information provided by the seller.  I have not seen this car in person and cannot vouch or otherwise endorse the vehicle being worth the price. 

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 05:15:31 AM »
I have sort of been actively looking for the past couple months.  Very few nice correct or close to correct cars offered.  Seems somewhat difficult to gauge value.  Actually when I think about it I think this is the only other one I have run across,
and it looks to have been for sale for at least a year and a half.

LOTS of gassers out there though!

and the reason for this post is anything more than merely to increase your posting count?

I posted a car for sale for two years at a fair price.. Once it was sold. I got 8 phone calls on it..  maybe one call when it was listed..

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:42:37 AM »
I'm curious about this comment as I've heard others say the same

the not often seen combination of deck lid with folding rear seat back

Yet it's been my personal observation (and only that) that most '51s  (including the one I own) whether four or six cylinder, have this combination. I've see this combination more often than those 1951s without a deck lid.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:44:42 AM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
All I know for certain is what Barbara and I came across between 2011 and 2017.  Whenever we found one for sale, it was  a 4 cylinder or a 6 with the fixed back seat.    The fold down seat back & deck lid were only offered by the factory in the 1951 and 1952 (both Vagabond & Corsair platforms) model years & never offered in Allstates.  I have correspondence between a dealer in TX and the factory about their putting in the folding rear seat back in a 1953 and the factory advised against it because of the body modifications required.

In the end, we  bought (and are very happy with) a 6 cyl HJ Corsair Deluxe with the fixed rear seat.  We didn't settle, but were told by the kids that the only way they'd let the grandchildren ride in the car is if we had firmly installed car seats for them & they didn't think the movable seat back would stay anchored in case of an accident.  We also wantedthe 6 (with overdrive) because we expected to take road trips (over 200 miles 1 way) and wanted something that would not overstrain itself keeping up with traffic (and this car cruises like a dream). 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:43:28 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
I have a '51 HJ Deluxe with both deck lid and folding seat

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 09:57:22 PM »
I have a '51 HJ Deluxe with both deck lid and folding seat

When I commented that "Most I've seen are that way" I was referring to 1951 models and 1952 Vagabond models.
This package was available on these cars in AG 10 and 17 for the standard and a part of AG 10, 17, 18, 21, 24 and 28 on the deluxe models.

I've never seen the any of the later cars (late 1952-54) with a deck lid and folding rear seat so if you put in that context (all years/models) it is unusual but as far a 1951 models go, there is a good percentage that shipped that way. 

Although I don't recall ever seeing one, the folding rear seat and decklid combination was available on the '52 Corsair as part of AG 4, and 5 and in AG 8 on the '52 Corsair Deluxe models.
It was not available on the 1953 Henry J.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe