Author Topic: Wanted - 1949-51 Frazer Sedan  (Read 994 times)

dragondust

• View Profile
    • Email
Wanted - 1949-51 Frazer Sedan
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »
Do you have a 49-51 Frazer sedan that needs a good new home? I am looking for a car in good original or restored condition that is at least a good driver and reasonably priced. Manhattan preferred, but a standard sedan or 1951 model would certainly be of interest. I am in Palmetto, GA--Atlanta, or St. Augustine, FL. I am a KFOCI member and will do my best to exhibit the car at club functions and other venues that will expose and educate others about these fine automobiles. [I would also not turn my back on a 53-55 Kaiser meeting the same conditions].

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wanted - 1949-51 Frazer Sedan
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »
Thanks for posting, and your comments about showing the car.  KF's in my opinion are almost perfect by providing 2 primary styling periods, plus the Henry J's and Willys.  No offense to other clubs - I am in the Buick Club and Cadillac Clubs - but it's almost unwieldy how many generations of cars there are. 

I think the 1949 Frazer has to be 1 of my favorite KF's.  I have never seen one in person but believe I could own one fairly easily. The grille makes the difference.  Even the taillight housings add more substance to the mono look of the slab siders.  I even appreciate the busier dash with more chrome and details. 

Personally am not a fan of the 1951 restyle, but who cares, it's a big tent club with many subinterests.
No old cars owned.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »
The 51 restyle made several big jumps in styling...way ahead of the competition.

dragondust

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:38:56 PM »
I must agree that the 1951 Frazer exhibited many "jumps" ahead in styling. Taking what was to be a distinctive new front end for the Frazer [on the new 1951 Kaiser body] and adapting it to left-over 49-50 K-F sedans was brilliant...and done in record time. Likewise, the distinctive rear end updated the car tremendously. The 54-55 Packard Clipper later mimicked its "sore thumb" tail lights!
All in all, for pure elegance, I have to agree with one of our forum members that the 49-50 Frazer has it in the bag. It has a stateliness that works beautifully from front to rear and inside as well.
I may be stirring a hornet's nest, but I found a picture of Henry Kaiser and Joe Frazer at a promotional dinner.  They evidently were supplied bibs for what might have been a lobster dinner. HJK has his bib around his neck; JWF is clutching a napkin in his lap. This brings to mind the subtle differences in the two cars. But...I'll take either one!

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
The 51 restyle made several big jumps in styling...way ahead of the competition.

Hi Carpenter, by 51 restyle I meant the last year freshening of the Frazer, based on the original slab side model from 1947, NOT the all new 51 Kaiser styling.  The 51 Kaiser styling was phenomenal - yes. 

It's a big tent.  There are quite a few folks on here that admire the freshening done on the 51 Frazer BUT for me, the concaveness of the front grille/fender treatment is not an improvement. 

They accomplished making it different from the 47-50's.  I have since come to appreciate the 47-48 Frazers but no one can say their grilles are styling leaders.  It is well known that the 49-50 Frazer eggcrate grille was a copy of the 1948 Cadillac grille.

It made a huge difference in the appearance of the Frazer, as the 49-50 Kaiser grille did. I owned a 1949 Virginian and I can't say the Kaiser grille is "less" of a grille than the Frazer, both were HUGE improvements over the compromise grilles of 47-48. Those grilles were not announcements of the car, they were too subtle, almost compromises made for tooling.  Like I said, I have come to appreciate the 47-48 Frazer grilles, but they lack the character and style of the 49-50's. 
No old cars owned.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
I missed it.  you were referring to the Frazier and I read...Kaiser..but the styling of all years was good.

Again, IF...we had only seen a V-8 installed.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 09:13:16 AM »
Yes, I agree on the V8. I always hoped that KF would be a little bit of a gambling company after their initial design started to hit 1949.  Seller's market disappeared.  Given that the independents started to collaborate "a little" and clearly GM sold KF Hydramatics, you would have thought a V8 was a no brainer. 
No old cars owned.