Author Topic: Engine Compartment  (Read 837 times)

Bernardi

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine Compartment
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:39:18 PM »
I have a 1953 Eagle and need some help.  There is a spring attached to the throttle on the carb.  The spring is lost.  I will find another or make one when I find out where it is attached.  If anyone has a photo of the engine compartment, with the air cleaner removed, I can get the car back on the road. 
If there are no photos available, a description will be a great help.

Thanks,
Reyman Branting
412-486-0530

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine Compartment
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
You don't state which engine you have but I can post a photo of the throttle return spring for the 161 F head engine.
The return spring attaches to the throttle linkage at the bell crank and a metal loop on the firewall. There is no return spring for this engine at the carburetor that I'm aware of.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

jneely

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
Hello Mr. Branting, and welcome to the forum.

I am by no means the ultimate source on the subject, but can offer the following observations and requested photo from my 53 Eagle. This assumes you have the original F-161 engine.

There isn't a factory installed throttle spring on the carburetor that I can find reference to, or have seen on any cars. The throttle return spring is on the firewall and hooks to the throttle linkage between the pedal and bellcrank, underneath the heater unit. There is a hard connection between the bellcrank and throttle lever.

Also attached are excerpts from the Willys parts manual, which shows exploded views of the carburetor and throttle linkage. These should also be helpful for you. You can find the parts manuals and other useful info at the KF online library:
http://circlekf.com/index_dept.php?sid=42511&dp=parts&yr=all&mk=all&cls=all&chk=la&pub=all&typ=PM&nbr=800&mg=all&modID=none&srcID=2347&action=source_detail

If you need something else, let us know. I may also be able to help with parts if you're missing pieces of the original linkage. Just send me a PM.

Best of luck

LM16094
Willys Aero-Eagles
And a few old Fords

Bernardi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:35:32 PM »
Thank you both for your prompt replies.  I'll see if I cannot get a spring and install it tomorrow.   Incidentally, I thought all Eagles were F-heads and didn't think to put it my request. 

The response time is amazing.  Within a couple of hours there were two views and two replies when I cranked up the computer after supper.  I had no idea that the site was so active.

The first new car I ever bought was a a 1954 Aero Eagle.  It was a very satisfying car, although the crankshaft broke at about 40,000 miles.  Probably from over-reving.   The 1,000 mile check up was by a Willys dealer in rural Pennsylvania as I was driving from Arkansas to New York.  The mechanic (I think he was the dealership owner) was a friendly young fellow who told me that he raced Plymouth, Chevy and Ford owners in low gear.  His crank hadn't broken, tho.  I don't remember hitting low overdrive, but second overdrive was common.

Salt was, and still is, extensively used in Pennsylvania.  It attacked and was one reason I gave the car to a friend after 100,000 plus miles.  This one will not be abused.

I saw a post which mentioned putting disc brakes on the front.  That is something I'd like to learn more about.  My brakes were never anything to brag about.

Thanks again.  I expect to enjoy the car this summer.

jneely

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
Posted by: Bernardi
« on: May 02, 2018, 10:35:32 PM »
Thank you both for your prompt replies.  I'll see if I cannot get a spring and install it tomorrow.   Incidentally, I thought all Eagles were F-heads and didn't think to put it my request. 

The response time is amazing.  Within a couple of hours there were two views and two replies when I cranked up the computer after supper.  I had no idea that the site was so active.

The Willys section gets quiet at times, but there are a handful of folks who visit with some regularity. I try and visit every few days to keep up with what's going on in the Aero and sometimes greater KF world..

There's some activity on the Facebook group if you're so inclined. I don't know that it's any more active than here, but there are some different folks who follow it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/689227651157877/

LM16094
Willys Aero-Eagles
And a few old Fords