Author Topic: heat riser 48 kaiser  (Read 919 times)

bustidwing

heat riser 48 kaiser
« on: August 30, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »
It appears the pictures of a heat riser open and closed in the "running out of gas" post  have been removed. Can anyone tell me if my counter weight on the heat riser should be up when warm or cold {horizontal, towards firewall} or down when warm or cold {vertical point to ground) it was stuck tight in the up position, any help would be appreciated thanks.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: heat riser 48 kaiser
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:51:51 PM »
You need to break down and spend the money to purchase a factory shop manual for your car (the Blue cover 1947-1948-1949 manual is better than the Green cover book as the blue one came out later and has updates the 1947-1948 green cover book does not).

Oh, I forgot!  You emailed me to tell me you had a 1948 Kaiser but had no intention of joining the car club; you only wanted free information from those who spent the money for things you didn't want to purchase.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
Busttidwing, in your email of August 27 2018 at 5:51 PM your exact words were, that you were not a member of the club along with, and I quote:

"I may have to join one day". 

There are less than 1,300 members of the KFOCI at present and over 2,500 members of the Forum.  That means about 50% (maybe more) of registered users are NOT members of the club and a number of them use the Forum regularly for years with (it seems) no intention of being a member, ever.  The idea was to let non-members join to see what services membership can bring but nobody bothered to put a "sunset date" on the sampling (as other websites do for their organizations or services). 

It's become a situation that I feel will only get worse over time.  Why should anyone join the club if they can get all the help and support they need via the Forum for free?

Oh yes, about your example.  There ae some parts sources that (in my opinion) are on the steep side in terms of price.  There is nothing that says a person has to buy from them if it is felt a price is too high.   Also, the Forum recommends or endorses nothing.  It provides possible sources for parts and opinions of others on servicing information.   

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »
The basic tenet of this forum is the free exchange of information to aid owners and those who enjoy the vehicles manufactured by Kaiser, Frazer and Willys. Membership in the Kaiser Frazer Owners Club, International is not a requirement for access to this forum. That said, we encourage those who are not members to join as there is a wealth of information available to members that's not present here.

To answer your question, the heat riser arm will be in the up position when the valve is open. It's common for them to stick open. You can try liberal applications of penetrating oil and light taps with a hammer to see if it'll free up, but don't get your hopes up. The only real cure is to cut the old one out and install new.

In the event you don't feel comfortable posting here, feel free to email or message me with questions you might have about your car.

hollenway

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 10:27:07 AM »
Kudos to Jim Lape for offering this owner a forthright answer to his question and also the offer to be of help for future questions. 

This is what these forums are " supposed " to be for.   

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »
I wish Everyone would realize Joining the Club would be the Best they could do. You may have a Club Member in Your Town or State. For Information, Parts & more.

Yahoo had a forum You could Join. I had serious folk Join Our Club & this forum got bigger to.

I still had a few that said they would but May not ? You could sense when they asked a lot of Questions, & they was Found One of Our makes & repair fix up, then flip them.
How did I know they Joined Easy When ? What's Your Club Number ? Then check Monthly News Letter. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:57:34 AM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
We were members a few years ago...we have one Kaiser, Darrin #145...we also have 40+ other cars...lots of different makes and models...a quick count would be at least 27 clubs...I don't have that much space to hang all those calendars and stack those newsletters...I've always found most users of this forum to be very friendly and helpful...if not, I wouldn't stop by anymore...thanks for all the help and advice in the past and going forward.

Gary