Author Topic: Engine rebuilder in CA?  (Read 1758 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine rebuilder in CA?
« on: June 20, 2010, 10:23:51 PM »
A friend and fellow KF member from Virginia is thinking about getting one of the rebuilt engines from the guy that advertises in the Bulletin.  I believe his name is Ed Ewing and he's in CA.  Anyone know anything about the quality of his rebuilds first hand or by word of mouth.  I seem to also remember a guy in PA a few years back...Somerset I believe, but haven't heard anything from him in several years.  Is he still out there and what's the quality of his work?
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

hollenway

Re: Engine rebuilder in CA?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:06 AM »
Bob Cober is the fellow in Somerset - first quality work - although I do believe he is semi retired.......

I thought Rudy sold engines too.....   

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:23:26 AM »
Ed Ewing gave a very informative talk at the Yreka Divisional last month.  His talk was on the care and feeding of our flat head engines.  I really enjoyed his talk and learned alot.  He was reflecting on the scores of engines he has rebuilt and the conditions found.  He has not rebuilt an engine for me but if I had one in need of rebuilding, he is who I would ask to do the job.  Jim
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
Ed is a 90 year old member , he had his own kf shop in susanvill ca. the engines he is rebuilding are from perfect blocks-9 no cracks or warping) parts are what he says they are and the engines are test run prior to shipping, the price and shipping are less than you can get an engine with the same quality at your local shop.  These are the engines that Fred Walker bought and resold to a arizona member for $4000.00 one of the engines was sent to a member in Germany last year.If you buy one from him please send a GOOD block back as I am running out of them from northern ca. and oregon