Author Topic: 1951 Kaiser Convertible  (Read 841 times)

Geoff Hacker

• View Profile
    • Email
1951 Kaiser Convertible
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
Hi Guys...

I don't know any history on this car but looks nice - down to the convertible top.  Here's the link:

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1035359/1951-kaiser-green-dragon-for-sale-in-lawrence-kansas-66046

Geoff

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 Kaiser Convertible
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
I'd always heard there were 2 of the 1951 Kaiser Converts but only one roadworthy.  This one is interesting. I think I've seen pictures of it before. It's got a '51 serial number, '51 grill work but '53 hood trim and upholstery as well as the post '51 one piece windsheild.  A nice looking piece of work to be sure but a bit different than the blue one that's been in the club for all these years.   Don't know the history on this one.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:21:34 PM »
The short front door says that this one like many others has been made from a four door sedan.  It looks nice and is probably a fun car to have.  There were several of these "customs" made over the years.  I once saw a factory photo of two '51 Kaiser factory made convertibles but don't remember where I saw it.  One car was in the factory garage and one was coming out the door.  K-F did not offer continental kits or wire wheels until 1952.  I understand that the remaining real factory made convertible will be auctioned off in the near future.  It has been in our club for about forty years and it is always a pleasure to see it at a meet.  K-F made some interesting show cars over the years and fortunately a few of them still survive and are being restored.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:30:59 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:00:51 AM »
The photo of a convertible taken outdoors appears in a late 1951 issue of KAISER-FRAZER DEALER NEWS an the caption indicated it was produced by a Minnesota body shop.  Curiously, the caption also states that dealers interested in getting a car from the maker could contact Mr. Irving English at Northwest Kaiser-Frazer for particulars.  Kaiser-Frazer did not officially sanction the vehicle but putting it in the dealer publicatrion suggests the factory would not chastise any dealer or distributor wanting to sell the vehicle type.  The second is the only original photo I have of a factory built Kaiser convertible.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
The photo that I remember must have come from the same batch as I remember the same convertible with the three men but in a different position in the driveway and another convertible clearly behind it.  I always thought that the convertibles were made from coupe bodies as mine is but in measuring the distance from the rear of the back window to the front of the deck lid on the blue convertible it is wider there then on a coupe body so they must have used two door bodies to convert to convertibles.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom