Author Topic: low brake pedal 51 kaiser  (Read 2778 times)

okkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
low brake pedal 51 kaiser
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:07:47 PM »
my kaiser had set for 25 years when i bought it and all the brake wheel cylinders were frozen--the wheels would not turn.   i replaced all wheel cylinders, brake hoses and master cylinder with parts i bought from fred walker.  i have bled brakes at wheel cylinder 3 or 4 times and have bled master cylinder 3 or four times.  the brakes on the first push go almost to the floor but still stop good.  after first push a second push gives a pedal 3/4 to top.   any ideas on problem?   i am stumped.  i had the same problem after i replaced wheel cylinders but before i installed new master cylinder.  i have tried adjusting brakes but still no luck.  any suggestions would be appreciated.  david

Bill

Re: low brake pedal 51 kaiser
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:11:22 PM »
I just completed a complete brake job on my 51 Kaiser that had set fot 18 years. I replaced all cylinders including master cyl., rubber lines as well as metal lines. From past experence with Kaisers as well as my recent experience I can share this:  Number one, Kaiser brakes are adjusted differently and it is important that you adjust EACH  SHOE (8 shoes) separtely to .008 -.010 clearence. Then at its best it may have only half pedal. Then you must adjust the concentric bolt on the master cyl piston rod to its proper free play and you should have consistent 3/4 pedal brakes. The free play adjustment, as un-important as it may sound, will  change the pedal as much as 2 inches. If you have any questions please let me know. You can call at 910 313 1809 or 910 233 1154 or email should you need more help. I am on the east coast for time reference. Cheers!  Be glad to help! Bill

okkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: low brake pedal 51 kaiser
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »
thanks for info.  i will try to readjust brakes more carefully and then readjust free play in pedal.  it may be a while before i get it done because this is honey do season in the yard and garden in oklahoma.  i will report back on my progress.  david